PiCade mod

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
jlane52641

PiCade mod

Post by jlane52641 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:09 am

Ok so this new hobby/obsession with modding for me all traces back to February of this year. My daughter and I were hitting the local thrift stores, second-hand shops and pawn shops when I found this at a nearby Goodwill:

I have always loved gaming and emulation and even have a full sized MAME cab I won from a Mt. Dew promotion a few years ago (now that I'm thinking about it it's been nearly 10 years ago - yikes!)

So anyway I figured maybe I could do something with it and maybe make a "mini me" for the full size arcade. So for $8.88 I brought the iCade home, did some googling and discovered all the modding people had done (and more importantly learned about the Raspberry Pi!)

So I started the modding:

First I disassembled it and swapped the bluetooth board for a usb controller board. I also swapped the stock buttons and stick with sanwa buttons and a sanwa stick (and a mirror balltop - niiiiiice lol)

Then I added a front usb port and two buttons (start and select probably, also will probably be changing these to both white)

Then came the screen. I did a LOT of looking for this one until I found exactly what I wanted - I wanted it to be as close to a perfect fit as I could get, 4:3, 800X600 and have an HDMI hookup to make it easier. I finally found a CCTV security monitor that fit the bill from china

It fit pretty well but after I dremeled out grooves on each side it fits perfect!

Next came the speakers. I've kinda Frankensteined these. I took a pair of entirely usb onn cube speakers I got from walmart years ago and ripped them apart. Inside there was this great control board with a volume control rocker switch which will be perfect for external volume control. Next I ripped speakers out of another usb powered, but 3.5mm audio plug (and EXTREMELY noisy hum when plugged in), pair of speakers I had and ripped them out. Wired it all up and with a few tweaks in Retropie it worked!

So I mounted this in a board and after I clean it up a bit more it will be my speaker panel!

And this is kinda where I am at now. Waiting for a few parts to continue and deciding what direction I will take for what is left to do (plus getting sidetracked with a PiNES project and Gameboy Zero - thanks a lot wermy lol)

I have also removed the iCade stuff from the sides and front and painted the sides black. I have some idea of how I am going to decorate the outside - I have a few large and small decals like this on the way I will probably incorporate into the cab artwork:

I also got this one from an Aussie

I plan on putting this between the start/select buttons and the usb port in the front and hopefully if there is room add a power switch.
I have a mausberry shutdown switch and an led power button that is tiny so it should fit and not cover up any of the important parts of the decal

So that's where I'm at now, I hope you like and if you have anything to share (like ideas and such) please let me know! I love input and feedback and if you have an idea that is better than what I can come up with I will use it and greatly appreciate the help!!

JL
Last edited by jlane52641 on Mon May 16, 2016 1:25 am, edited 8 times in total.

jlane52641

Re: PiCade mod

Post by jlane52641 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:09 am

reserved

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Tue May 10, 2016 3:33 am

Just wanted to say that this looks really fantastic so far! :D

jlane52641

Post by jlane52641 » Tue May 10, 2016 3:59 am

crispy_tofu wrote:Just wanted to say that this looks really fantastic so far! :D
Thanks tofu!
Means a lot coming from you and I appreciate the kind words!

Rod2D2

Post by Rod2D2 » Tue May 24, 2016 8:01 pm

jlane52641 wrote:
crispy_tofu wrote:Just wanted to say that this looks really fantastic so far! :D
Thanks tofu!
Means a lot coming from you and I appreciate the kind words!

Looks great so far.
What screen did you end up using? Do you have a link where you purchased?

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Tue May 24, 2016 10:00 pm

jlane52641 wrote:[spoiler="Project"]Ok so this new hobby/obsession with modding for me all traces back to February of this year. My daughter and I were hitting the local thrift stores, second-hand shops and pawn shops when I found this at a nearby Goodwill:

I have always loved gaming and emulation and even have a full sized MAME cab I won from a Mt. Dew promotion a few years ago (now that I'm thinking about it it's been nearly 10 years ago - yikes!)

So anyway I figured maybe I could do something with it and maybe make a "mini me" for the full size arcade. So for $8.88 I brought the iCade home, did some googling and discovered all the modding people had done (and more importantly learned about the Raspberry Pi!)

So I started the modding:

First I disassembled it and swapped the bluetooth board for a usb controller board. I also swapped the stock buttons and stick with sanwa buttons and a sanwa stick (and a mirror balltop - niiiiiice lol)

Then I added a front usb port and two buttons (start and select probably, also will probably be changing these to both white)

Then came the screen. I did a LOT of looking for this one until I found exactly what I wanted - I wanted it to be as close to a perfect fit as I could get, 4:3, 800X600 and have an HDMI hookup to make it easier. I finally found a CCTV security monitor that fit the bill from china

It fit pretty well but after I dremeled out grooves on each side it fits perfect!

Next came the speakers. I've kinda Frankensteined these. I took a pair of entirely usb onn cube speakers I got from walmart years ago and ripped them apart. Inside there was this great control board with a volume control rocker switch which will be perfect for external volume control. Next I ripped speakers out of another usb powered, but 3.5mm audio plug (and EXTREMELY noisy hum when plugged in), pair of speakers I had and ripped them out. Wired it all up and with a few tweaks in Retropie it worked!

So I mounted this in a board and after I clean it up a bit more it will be my speaker panel!

And this is kinda where I am at now. Waiting for a few parts to continue and deciding what direction I will take for what is left to do (plus getting sidetracked with a PiNES project and Gameboy Zero - thanks a lot wermy lol)

I have also removed the iCade stuff from the sides and front and painted the sides black. I have some idea of how I am going to decorate the outside - I have a few large and small decals like this on the way I will probably incorporate into the cab artwork:

I also got this one from an Aussie

I plan on putting this between the start/select buttons and the usb port in the front and hopefully if there is room add a power switch.
I have a mausberry shutdown switch and an led power button that is tiny so it should fit and not cover up any of the important parts of the decal

So that's where I'm at now, I hope you like and if you have anything to share (like ideas and such) please let me know! I love input and feedback and if you have an idea that is better than what I can come up with I will use it and greatly appreciate the help!!

JL[/spoiler]
I am liking a lot of your cosmetic choices. I'm really interested in the finished product. I've really really been contemplating a bartop arcade after I finish the GBZ with the RPi3. Definitely subscribing to this to keep a close eye on it.

One thought: Have you thought of a new full-size personal vinyl for the side(s)? I realize you're getting those RPi stickers, but going a bit bigger would look both cleaner and more professional.

jlane52641

Post by jlane52641 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:35 am

Rod2D2 wrote:Looks great so far. What screen did you end up using? Do you have a link where you purchased?
Sure do. After a LOT of searching and patience I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121905075476?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

A little on the pricey side but worth it, has/had everything I was looking for and fits great - plus I opted for the US based, which is a little more expensive.
Kilren wrote:I am liking a lot of your cosmetic choices. I'm really interested in the finished product. I've really really been contemplating a bartop arcade after I finish the GBZ with the RPi3. Definitely subscribing to this to keep a close eye on it.

One thought: Have you thought of a new full-size personal vinyl for the side(s)? I realize you're getting those RPi stickers, but going a bit bigger would look both cleaner and more professional.
I have thought about it and have been in contact with a few vendors - although I honestly don't mind a kind of homemade look. It is kind of "homemade" after all but I think if a person takes their time the results can be surprising and quite good. I'm really wanting it to be one-of-a-kind and if I F it up I can always strip it down and try again lol

Rod2D2

Post by Rod2D2 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:12 am

jlane52641 wrote:
Rod2D2 wrote:Looks great so far. What screen did you end up using? Do you have a link where you purchased?
Sure do. After a LOT of searching and patience I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121905075476?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

A little on the pricey side but worth it, has/had everything I was looking for and fits great - plus I opted for the US based, which is a little more expensive.
Kilren wrote:I am liking a lot of your cosmetic choices. I'm really interested in the finished product. I've really really been contemplating a bartop arcade after I finish the GBZ with the RPi3. Definitely subscribing to this to keep a close eye on it.

I have thought about it and have been in contact with a few vendors - although I honestly don't mind a kind of homemade look. It is kind of "homemade" after all but I think if a person takes their time the results can be surprising and quite good. I'm really wanting it to be one-of-a-kind and if I F it up I can always strip it down and try again lol

Thanks. Did you end up removing it from the housing/frame? Were you able to keep the controls for contrast and brightness?

Really interested in seeing how it turns out.

jlane52641

Post by jlane52641 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:07 am

Rod2D2 wrote: Thanks. Did you end up removing it from the housing/frame? Were you able to keep the controls for contrast and brightness?

Really interested in seeing how it turns out.
Yep removed it from the housing, able to keep driver board and daughter board behind the screen
20160421_074853[1].jpg
20160421_074853[1].jpg (4.45 MiB) Viewed 11941 times
20160525_080017[1].jpg
20160525_080017[1].jpg (4.67 MiB) Viewed 11941 times

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:29 pm

Anyway you could post a link to the screen you purchased. I think one of the hardest issues with this project is finding the right size screen.