Forum restructuring

Site/Forum announcements
Lphillimore

Re: Forum restructuring

Post by Lphillimore » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:39 pm

Great idea. This will improve things a lot i think. I often browse random threads outside of my 'normal ones' and the amount of times I find things and think...'you don't belong here'! Also, if you check out the 'un-answered posts' you'll often find its because its not getting visibility due to being posted in the wrong area.

Only additional thoughts are...

1) users can move their own posts? Might help.

2) make the search box bigger and also put a search box on main board index? First place people land and it's not obvious to some where to click to find it?

👍🏼

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:13 pm

Lphillimore wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:39 pm
Great idea. This will improve things a lot i think. I often browse random threads outside of my 'normal ones' and the amount of times I find things and think...'you don't belong here'! Also, if you check out the 'un-answered posts' you'll often find its because its not getting visibility due to being posted in the wrong area.

2) make the search box bigger and also put a search box on main board index? First place people land and it's not obvious to some where to click to find it?

👍🏼
1) Hmm, not sure if that's a great idea (that's what mods are for!) or if it's even possible.
2) Good idea - I'll look into this.
ImageImageImageImage

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:40 pm

wermy wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:13 pm
Lphillimore wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:39 pm

👍🏼
1) Hmm, not sure if that's a great idea (that's what mods are for!) or if it's even possible.

- Fair point. For all the requests you get from users to move their own posts these are probably far outweighed by the risk in giving them the power :D

2) Good idea - I'll look into this.

- Cool :p

Lpoolm

Post by Lpoolm » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:50 am

Can you add the chance to archive sales threads, this will tidy it up a bit?
Also maybe a feedback/rating system within the selling area, this may help smaller sellers to sell more as well give buyers more confidence.
Check out my modding and repair channel of retro and modern consoles:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFz7yW ... GtQ/videos

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:26 am

Lpoolm wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:50 am
Can you add the chance to archive sales threads, this will tidy it up a bit?
Also maybe a feedback/rating system within the selling area, this may help smaller sellers to sell more as well give buyers more confidence.

That would effectively be great. You should add a new policy, renaming the topic with [closed] or [sold] insertion into the titleso you can easily see which post is outdated and delete it.
Follow me on instagram Image

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:34 am

Thanks for the input, guys! I'll start rolling out these changes slowly, starting with the mintyPi section and buy/sell/trade.
ImageImageImageImage

Hoverfly

Post by Hoverfly » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:40 pm

I think that you could move the "hardvare: part sourcing" into the buy/sell forum. It is more clear.

i think that is more intuitive.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:09 pm

Alright, I'm about done shifting things around. The only thing I'm still trying to figure out is the best way to structure the hardware/software sections (which are under the "other projects" category now). So that may get further tweaked.
If you guys have any more suggestions, let me know!
ImageImageImageImage

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:23 pm

I think the categories under Game Boy Zero and MintyPi deserve some more specific subforums like the Hardware and Software under Other Projects since most users discuss these two wonderful projects more than the others. These two should standout.

Like:
Software
- RetroPie
- Recalbox
- Guides
- etc..

Hardware
- Raspberry Pi
- Display
- Power
- Sound
- Guides
- etc...

Topics like Raspberry Pi and Retropie are almost synonymous with GBZ and MintyPi.

When I joined this forum I didn't come here to ask about things like how to av mod your famicom, rgb, etc.., i came here because of Game Boy Zero. 😀
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

silentjames

Post by silentjames » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:13 am

Hey wermy!
Like new forum structure, but I have one little request.
Usually I discover the forum using New posts page. There I could see not only topic name, but also it's location - Gameboy Zero, Hardware subforums, etc. To be honest, I'm not really interested in MintyPi project (but idea in general is great and your guide is pretty awesome :) ), so I simply ignored threads from this subforum.
Now structure is changed, and these threads are displayed in new posts' list with same locations names I mentioned before, but sometimes
it's hard to understand where a thread is really located until you open it. So, could you please add the name of main forum section before the name of subforum to New posts' page?
For example, add mintyPi before Hardware Help there:
Thanks!