roms and all in one board programming

Post tips/tricks or get help with configuring RetroPie
tlxxxsracer

roms and all in one board programming

Post by tlxxxsracer » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:50 pm

This will be my first rasphberry pi project and this is my first thread on this community.
I'm gathering all the parts right now and have read and watched wermy's guides.

Im trying to figure out how to not only program the all in one PCB board for the controls.. but once I get retropi on a microSD card, how to put roms on it.
I'm planning on making my gameboy zero as minimal as possible and keep it neat and tidy as possible. I dont plan on utilizing the USB hub.
So without the usb hub, how would i put roms on? Is there a writeup or video i can see for the programming of the PCB for the controls? Im not going to be using the teensy as the all in one board from helder
Sorry for a noob questions

ChunkeeMunkee

Re: roms and all in one board programming

Post by ChunkeeMunkee » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:15 pm

Even if you're not looking to have an internal hub set up to add additional permanent hardware, I'd still encourage you to wire up the Pi Zero's USB pads to an external port. That way you have a few options available:
  • USB: You can insert a USB flash drive, and Retropie will format it and add folders for ROMs for the installed emulators. Then you just need to drag and drop the ROM files into these folders on a computer.

WiFi: Through a wireless dongle you can FTP the ROMs over your home network.

Bluetooth: Similarly, you could potentially send files across via an ad-hoc Bluetooth connection, from a computer or even a phone.
Sorry for the vagueness, I'm unsure of the details myself, but these methods could be really useful to you. Without at least one USB port available you're really going to struggle to get ROMs onto your GBZ.

LimberEight

Post by LimberEight » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:17 pm

Check out RetroPie's help page on transferring ROMs

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-se ... rring-Roms

It explains how to do it with USB, SFTP or Samba.

As for programming the PCB, sorry, can't help you there, but I think it may come pre-programmed.

tlxxxsracer

Post by tlxxxsracer » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:26 pm

ChunkeeMunkee wrote:Even if you're not looking to have an internal hub set up to add additional permanent hardware, I'd still encourage you to wire up the Pi Zero's USB pads to an external port. That way you have a few options available:
  • USB: You can insert a USB flash drive, and Retropie will format it and add folders for ROMs for the installed emulators. Then you just need to drag and drop the ROM files into these folders on a computer.

WiFi: Through a wireless dongle you can FTP the ROMs over your home network.

Bluetooth: Similarly, you could potentially send files across via an ad-hoc Bluetooth connection, from a computer or even a phone.
Sorry for the vagueness, I'm unsure of the details myself, but these methods could be really useful to you. Without at least one USB port available you're really going to struggle to get ROMs onto your GBZ.
Thanks that explains enough. As much as I wanted to keep the DMG clean of extra "non DMG" ports, i guess I will in order to have easy transfers and such.
Wish the zero had the push in micro-sd port like on the other models. Seems it would make it easier to access the micro SD slot if mounted where a cartridge would go

ChunkeeMunkee

Post by ChunkeeMunkee » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:15 pm

If you're going for the pure DMG aesthetic, why not hide the USB port in the battery compartment? ;)

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:10 am

My board comes preprogrammed you don't need to do anything except configure Retropie for PWM audio and power the board through the powerboost or similar device. Read the Wiki on the main page.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.