Roms not transferring at all

Post tips/tricks or get help with configuring RetroPie
WTSteve

Roms not transferring at all

Post by WTSteve » Thu May 19, 2016 8:28 am

(Running macbook) I'm having a huge problem with my roms not transferring at all. I tried using my USB and when I transfer the rooms into the roms into the roms folder everything seems to go great. I plug it into my pie and if flashes like crazy then freezes my pie. It does it every time I do this. Then I tried by accessing my finder and going through the retropie server and everything seems to look great, then I go to transfer the roms over into the certain folders that they are supposed to go into and the progress bar says, "Preparing to transfer to "snes"',(.7z roms) but nothing happens and it just sits there. I can't even install roms from the pie its self from the emulator menu. I downloaded from binary and none of them show up. I tried restarting and everything I can think of. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ganreizu

Re: Roms not transferring at all

Post by Ganreizu » Thu May 19, 2016 8:41 am

Did you prepare it first? Just put a folder called retropie with no roms and plug it in and it populates with folders for specific consoles?

WTSteve

Post by WTSteve » Thu May 19, 2016 8:50 am

Ganreizu wrote:Did you prepare it first? Just put a folder called retropie with no roms and plug it in and it populates with folders for specific consoles?
I did prepare it first. I had bios and roms folders pop up. So I placed roms according to the folders. I had something transfer finally to my pie through the server but nothing showed up. Anywhere.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Thu May 19, 2016 8:57 am

I don't think RetroPie supports roms that are in .7z archives:

https://retropie.org.uk/documentation/s ... -retropie/

I only see .zip listed for compressed roms, so that might be part of your problem.
ImageImageImageImage

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Thu May 19, 2016 9:00 am

Oh ok yeah you gotta extract them all before you transfer. Wouldn't leaving them in compressed folders make it unnecessarily slow?
Last edited by Ganreizu on Thu May 19, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Thu May 19, 2016 9:02 am

Ganreizu wrote:Oh ok yeah i extracted them all before i transferred. Wouldn't leaving them in compressed folders make it unnecessarily slow?
Depends on the type of compression. Just a plain ol' zip file has pretty low overhead when it comes to accessing the contents, especially if it's small. That said, I usually extract mine before putting them on the Pi too. :)
ImageImageImageImage

WTSteve

Post by WTSteve » Thu May 19, 2016 9:07 am

wermy wrote:I don't think RetroPie supports roms that are in .7z archives:

https://retropie.org.uk/documentation/s ... -retropie/

I only see .zip listed for compressed roms, so that might be part of your problem.
I'm looking at this list after I downloaded the .zip and inside the folder are all kinds of other files and folders. (Build, control, docs, jni....) Where do I put all of these things? Do they all go into the roms folder or do I copy the who folder without opening directly into the snes folder? (Sorry I have no idea what I am doing.)

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Thu May 19, 2016 9:15 am

WTSteve wrote: I'm looking at this list after I downloaded the .zip and inside the folder are all kinds of other files and folders. (Build, control, docs, jni....) Where do I put all of these things? Do they all go into the roms folder or do I copy the who folder without opening directly into the snes folder? (Sorry I have no idea what I am doing.)
That doesn't sound like a rom in there. If it's SNES it should be something like a single .smc file. Did you download a rom pack from somewhere or something? Can you post a screenshot of your finder window so we can see what you're talking about?
ImageImageImageImage

WTSteve

Post by WTSteve » Thu May 19, 2016 9:26 am

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 9.25.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 9.25.03 AM.png (221.27 KiB) Viewed 9098 times
wermy wrote:
WTSteve wrote: I'm looking at this list after I downloaded the .zip and inside the folder are all kinds of other files and folders. (Build, control, docs, jni....) Where do I put all of these things? Do they all go into the roms folder or do I copy the who folder without opening directly into the snes folder? (Sorry I have no idea what I am doing.)
That doesn't sound like a rom in there. If it's SNES it should be something like a single .smc file. Did you download a rom pack from somewhere or something? Can you post a screenshot of your finder window so we can see what you're talking about?

This is what I downloaded from the link to the roms files. This is what the opened folder looked like.

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Thu May 19, 2016 9:35 am

That looks like an emulator itself, not a rom. Roms are literally single files.