Playable Nintendo 64 games

Post tips/tricks or get help with configuring RetroPie
Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Playable Nintendo 64 games

Post by Popcorn » Sun May 22, 2016 10:22 pm

Hey guys,

I just came across this old thread for the N64 emulator running on a Raspberry Pi A which should help us because the Pi Zero has slight better specs than the A. That means that all of this applies to us. I tested the 5 Good titles and they indeed work pretty well. I need to go through the pages and the wiki to see what other titles that people have reported which runs well but I thought we should start our own thread to share well running games too:

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Star Fox 64
The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time
Turok Dinosaur Hunter

Source:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... hp?t=58395

Robots86

Re: Playable Nintendo 64 games

Post by Robots86 » Mon May 23, 2016 2:13 am

I will test some games when i get home :)

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Mon May 23, 2016 8:10 am

Wow cool! I honestly only expected a couple like Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 to run well. Guess I need to dump a few N64 games on mine. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Zeke2040

Post by Zeke2040 » Mon May 23, 2016 12:35 pm

Popcorn wrote:Hey guys,

I just came across this old thread for the N64 emulator running on a Raspberry Pi A which should help us because the Pi Zero has slight better specs than the A. That means that all of this applies to us. I tested the 5 Good titles and they indeed work pretty well. I need to go through the pages and the wiki to see what other titles that people have reported which runs well but I thought we should start our own thread to share well running games too:

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Star Fox 64
Turok Dinosaur Hunter

Source:
Thanks for the info! Great news as I did not expect N64 to work at all!

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:32 pm

But since we wont have all the buttons that a n64 controller has mainy joystick and c arrows will these games work well? I know for mario kart we could get by without the c arrows and i guess just map x or y as Z?

codacious

Post by codacious » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:54 pm

Thatbraziliann wrote:But since we wont have all the buttons that a n64 controller has mainy joystick and c arrows will these games work well? I know for mario kart we could get by without the c arrows and i guess just map x or y as Z?
I think the idea most people had for the n64 games is connecting the gbz to a tv via hdmi and connecting a usb/Bluetooth controller. That was my plan anyways.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:13 pm

codacious wrote:
Thatbraziliann wrote:But since we wont have all the buttons that a n64 controller has mainy joystick and c arrows will these games work well? I know for mario kart we could get by without the c arrows and i guess just map x or y as Z?
I think the idea most people had for the n64 games is connecting the gbz to a tv via hdmi and connecting a usb/Bluetooth controller. That was my plan anyways.
I know at least a couple people are also adding a PSP-type analog stick, so it wouldn't be *too* bad for some games.
ImageImageImageImage

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:23 pm

Popcorn wrote:Hey guys,

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Star Fox 64
Turok Dinosaur Hunter

Source:
Neato! It is strange that my very first playthrough of Zelda: Ocarina of Time will be on the Pi? Link to the past on the SNES is the latest one I've played.

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:11 pm

joe7dust wrote:Neato! It is strange that my very first playthrough of Zelda: Ocarina of Time will be on the Pi? Link to the past on the SNES is the latest one I've played.
Please play Ocarina, wind waker, twilight princess! Some of the best 3D games there is.

DieselDummy

Post by DieselDummy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:25 pm

Have there been any updates on N64 roms running smoothly on RPi3? I got Mario Kart to work nicely but have lag issues with Cruisin USA and Army men. Any help would be greatly appreciated.