GBZ Retropie Image?

Post tips/tricks or get help with configuring RetroPie
dominator

GBZ Retropie Image?

Post by dominator » Sun May 29, 2016 3:15 am

so o.k., we are all working on (more or less) the same project!
So I was thinking, is it worth building and sharing a retropie image(s)? I guess without roms as that would lead to copyright problems...

one setup with gpio settings, and one for teensy/usb. Both setup for as many emulators with their correct settings, with custom startup/splash screen.

I know retropie is already a good starting point, but it would be nice to have something more tailored to the GBZ, as some emulators are not going to work as well on the zero.

For me, I have a complete no-intro romset and mame, though to begin with I am concentrating on getting the Nintendo, Mame, Lynx, Amiga and Wonderswan emulators working (my history of gaming right there in the palm of my hand!!).

SidSilver

Re: GBZ Retropie Image?

Post by SidSilver » Sun May 29, 2016 3:56 am

Look at Recalbox => http://www.recalbox.com/
It's a awesome image that looks like retropie but without raspbian (just au tiny optimised core).

It manages GPIO,
Updates itself,
Supports Bluetooth joypads,
Wifi networks,
Active community

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Sun May 29, 2016 12:05 pm

dominator wrote:so o.k., we are all working on (more or less) the same project!
So I was thinking, is it worth building and sharing a retropie image(s)? I guess without roms as that would lead to copyright problems...

one setup with gpio settings, and one for teensy/usb. Both setup for as many emulators with their correct settings, with custom startup/splash screen.

I know retropie is already a good starting point, but it would be nice to have something more tailored to the GBZ, as some emulators are not going to work as well on the zero.

For me, I have a complete no-intro romset and mame, though to begin with I am concentrating on getting the Nintendo, Mame, Lynx, Amiga and Wonderswan emulators working (my history of gaming right there in the palm of my hand!!).
This was actually my plan. :) I was planning to get a clean image of RetroPie, set up PWM audio on it, and back it up to an img file people could then write back to their own SD card. Adding a second image that has GPIO set up is a good idea.

One thing I'll have to figure out how to solve is the partition resizing. The first time you launch RetroPie it resizes the partition on your SD card to fill the available space. So I'll need to figure out how to un-do that after I get it all set up, and set it up to re-do that the first time someone launches it after that.
ImageImageImageImage

Topher

Post by Topher » Sun May 29, 2016 1:29 pm

SidSilver wrote:Look at Recalbox => http://www.recalbox.com/
It's a awesome image that looks like retropie but without raspbian (just au tiny optimised core).
I have been using Recalbox on my Pi 3 I have set up in the living room and I absolutely love it. You can load roms through a web interface, but I set it up with an external hard drive and making that a network share was a piece of cake.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Sun May 29, 2016 1:35 pm

Topher wrote:
I have been using Recalbox on my Pi 3 I have set up in the living room and I absolutely love it. You can load roms through a web interface, but I set it up with an external hard drive and making that a network share was a piece of cake.
Wow that sounds awesome, I may have to give it another go. I used it a while back and found it to be kind of buggy -- I don't remember what issues I had offhand but it was enough to turn me off of it.
ImageImageImageImage

Topher

Post by Topher » Sun May 29, 2016 3:06 pm

wermy wrote:
Topher wrote:
Wow that sounds awesome, I may have to give it another go. I used it a while back and found it to be kind of buggy -- I don't remember what issues I had offhand but it was enough to turn me off of it.
The only real bugs I have found were with N64 Games. I am not doing anything fancy, but it is running Kodi and Emulation Station and only took some minor tweaking right out of the box.

Rod2D2

Post by Rod2D2 » Sun May 29, 2016 3:24 pm

wermy wrote:
dominator wrote:so o.k., we are all working on (more or less) the same project!

This was actually my plan. :) I was planning to get a clean image of RetroPie, set up PWM audio on it, and back it up to an img file people could then write back to their own SD card. Adding a second image that has GPIO set up is a good idea.

One thing I'll have to figure out how to solve is the partition resizing. The first time you launch RetroPie it resizes the partition on your SD card to fill the available space. So I'll need to figure out how to un-do that after I get it all set up, and set it up to re-do that the first time someone launches it after that.

This would be great!!! Retropie isn't hard to install but having the audio set up would really help a lot of people, including myself.

BadBert

Post by BadBert » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:32 am

anything new on this?

i would love an image...
but then maybe the image of @wermy that he uses on his gbz?
(i know you cant share roms.... but.... you know... ;) )
My first GBZ build -=HERE=- -> Became a gift to my little brother!
My 2nd GBZ build -=WIP HERE=- -> going with HDMI!

otaola.franc

Post by otaola.franc » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:57 am

wermy wrote:
Topher wrote:
a recalbox image from you it would be sooooo good (or maybe sooooo god? ahahahaha) i am prepearing everything to my GBZ and with the soft part i am thinking about using recal, i saw some comparation videos in youtube and it is way better or in my opinion at least. :D

grenade44

Post by grenade44 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:41 am

Looks like someone has forked the web interface to be used with retropie.

https://github.com/botolo78/RetroPie-Manager

Haven't had a chance to check this out yet.