[Guide] Graceful shutdown switch without Pololu [RETIRED]

Various user-contributed guides for hardware-related things
Camble

Re: [Guide] Graceful shutdown switch without Pololu

Post by Camble » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:28 pm

@RxBrad I checked mine, the Fairchild ones that work. They are the same as the ones on the right.

jazzy

Post by jazzy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:58 am

Hi Camble, I received the low power pcb today, thanks very much for your hard work so far!

I actually completed making a circuit, with a non original replacement switch in your guide. The original, home made pcb has 4 wires en, ground, and two gpio pins (27 and 22)

However I wanted to use the manufactured PCB in my build. I have the pi zero, powerboost 1000c, and the replacement switch. Do i still only need to connect 4 wires? [en and ground (to the powerboost) and the two gpio pins to the pi (27 and 22)] And i can ignore the other pins on the board e.g 3.3v, low batt?

Noob question sorry, do i also connect the powerboost to the pi from the pi's pads below the micro usb socket to the powerboost 5v and ground (where the fullsized usb connector was)

Camble

Post by Camble » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:33 am

jazzy wrote:Hi Camble, I received the low power pcb today, thanks very much for your hard work so far!

I actually completed making a circuit, with a non original replacement switch in your guide. The original, home made pcb has 4 wires en, ground, and two gpio pins (27 and 22)

However I wanted to use the manufactured PCB in my build. I have the pi zero, powerboost 1000c, and the replacement switch. Do i still only need to connect 4 wires? [en and ground (to the powerboost) and the two gpio pins to the pi (27 and 22)] And i can ignore the other pins on the board e.g 3.3v, low batt?

Noob question sorry, do i also connect the powerboost to the pi from the pi's pads below the micro usb socket to the powerboost 5v and ground (where the fullsized usb connector was)
You'll also need 3.3v. You can technically get away without using it, but you'd need to bridge the 3.3v pin to GND and modify the script to use GPIO.PUD_UP instead. I considered revising this in the next version of the board, but you still need a 3.3v header for the low battery side of things, so it wasn't really worth it. It would also mean people would need a different version of the script depending on which version of the board they had.

You can obviously ignore LBO and low-batt, but if you do connect these, connect 3.3v as well otherwise you risk exposing the GPIO pin to 5v when your USB charging cable is plugged in.

Yes, you'll need to connect PP1/PP6 on your Pi to 5v and Gnd on the PowerBoost. You can use either the holes for the USB socket, or the headers along the side of the board.

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:10 pm

I noticed that you have an updated script using your low-battery solution. Anxiously awaiting the LBO/diode diagram for the DIY version, so I can use it on my second build. 8-) I'd think your circuit should take significantly less stripboard space than Popcorn's old version did.

Also, even among my batch of "working" Fairchild 2N5460 FETs, I've run into at least one dud. So, I imagine it's a good idea to test on breadboard before you get too much built out. I suspect that a lot of the 2N5460 stock out there is either counterfeit or rejected stock that made it onto the market (2 out of 3 of my orders were bad stock).
Image Image

WoodMill

Post by WoodMill » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:15 pm

Anyone have any of those 2N5460 P-Channel JFET things that they'd be willing to ship me? All I need is one. Will pay shipping and a little extra for the piece. With all the talk about counterfeit ones, I don't want to place an order and pay $8 with shipping to get ones that don't work.
Follow my Youtube Vlog about Filmmaking
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... P0H6UZe1ds

AerynSun

Post by AerynSun » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:47 pm

WoodMill wrote:Anyone have any of those 2N5460 P-Channel JFET things that they'd be willing to ship me? All I need is one. Will pay shipping and a little extra for the piece. With all the talk about counterfeit ones, I don't want to place an order and pay $8 with shipping to get ones that don't work.
Where are you located?

WoodMill

Post by WoodMill » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:48 pm

Indiana, USA

I forget that there are a lot of people on here from other countries.
Follow my Youtube Vlog about Filmmaking
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... P0H6UZe1ds

AerynSun

Post by AerynSun » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:53 pm

WoodMill wrote:Indiana, USA

I forget that there are a lot of people on here from other countries.
I'd send you one. But maybe someone from the US has also some to spare.

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:05 pm

@Woodmill

I can probably send you 2 for $2 shipped or 1 for $1.50. Since I've run into a dud in my "good" batch (ordered here), I'll want to test it out on the breadboard before I send it. Whether I really have spares also depends on how many good ones I have in the batch of 10 that I ordered.

PM me on Monday if I don't get back to you before then. Or you can order from that same supplier I used. It took a little over 2 weeks to get to Michigan, and that was with it getting stuck in customs in Chicago for about 5 days.
Image Image

Camble

Post by Camble » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:12 am

RxBrad wrote:Anxiously awaiting the LBO/diode diagram
Sorry, I'd almost completely forgot about this. The guide has been updated to reflect the LBO interface. Also no need to modify any scripts, just download the modified version.