How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Various user-contributed guides for hardware-related things
prerunnerseth

Re: How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Post by prerunnerseth » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:26 pm

I have updated the recommended diode in the build list to the BAT42. The 1n4148 may have too much forward voltage drop to remain in HDMI spec. Mine did work fine with the 1N4148 diode, I just wanted to make sure.

Ndmp

Post by Ndmp » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:41 am

Running a second wire from the PWR Usb Pad alongside the HDMI cable will also work, won't it?
In case i don't want to use a Voltage inserter/HDMI USB Adapter

Billy Blaze

Post by Billy Blaze » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:25 pm

quick question:
does the HDMI solution provide enough power to support the build-in bluetooth thingy, in order to connect a second bluetooth controller?

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:19 pm

Billy Blaze wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:25 pm
quick question:
does the HDMI solution provide enough power to support the build-in bluetooth thingy, in order to connect a second bluetooth controller?
Yes it does.

htbrdd

Post by htbrdd » Thu May 04, 2017 10:31 am

I ordered this cable http://sudomod.me/hdmi Don't have my pi yet but I think the connector to the pi is going to be to big. I will keep everyone posted.
Last edited by htbrdd on Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chrisagu28

Post by Chrisagu28 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:59 am

So I was ordering parts for the build and went to order the mini to full size hdmi cable and its out of stock. Amazon doesn't know if they will have it in stock again. Any there any similar cables anybody would recommend? Does length matter for the sake of resistance with the hdmi providing power? gauge of wire used matter as well?

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Fri May 05, 2017 5:44 am

Chrisagu28 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 4:59 am
So I was ordering parts for the build and went to order the mini to full size hdmi cable and its out of stock. Amazon doesn't know if they will have it in stock again. Any there any similar cables anybody would recommend? Does length matter for the sake of resistance with the hdmi providing power? gauge of wire used matter as well?
I chose that cable for the connector housing size, cable diameter and length. the gauge of wire really wont be an issue, the pi doesnt use much power. Look for slim cables. hopefully they will get that one back in stock.

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Fri May 05, 2017 5:50 am

This one looks like the same cable just with a different brand on it.
https://www.amazon.com/Cablelera-Slim-H ... cable+10ft

Chrisagu28

Post by Chrisagu28 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:57 am

Alright, I will look into the other cable. If it looks good I will probably order it and report back with how well it works out.

I was also curious. If come across a TV that doesn't have a usb port on it or doesn't have enough power to the usb, Would it be possible to power the pi using the hdmi usb power adapter with a standard AC to USB adapter like a phone charger? I would assume it shouldn't be a problem. Any recommendation for amperage? i know the Pi 3 like 2.5 amps to run solid but I figured the Pi zero isn't too picky.

A tv at my work I would like to use with it doesn't have a usb port so wanna cover all my bases.

Thanks again!

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Fri May 05, 2017 6:18 am

Chrisagu28 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 5:57 am
Alright, I will look into the other cable. If it looks good I will probably order it and report back with how well it works out.

I was also curious. If come across a TV that doesn't have a usb port on it or doesn't have enough power to the usb, Would it be possible to power the pi using the hdmi usb power adapter with a standard AC to USB adapter like a phone charger? I would assume it shouldn't be a problem. Any recommendation for amperage? i know the Pi 3 like 2.5 amps to run solid but I figured the Pi zero isn't too picky.

A tv at my work I would like to use with it doesn't have a usb port so wanna cover all my bases.

Thanks again!
Pi zero uses less than 500mA so anything will do.