How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Various user-contributed guides for hardware-related things
Post Reply
Lpoolm
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:17 am
Location: uk
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Post by Lpoolm » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:19 pm

i have wired up the wire on the pi from pad 20 to pin 2, plugged it all in and it works...
i have not added a diode within the hdmi/usb adapter yet, do i need to is it needed?
i am not sure what the point of the diode is, any help would be great
football predictions using updated sensible soccer: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOTIa0 ... oDHX_mND8g

User avatar
Holydohnut
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 2:02 pm
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Post by Holydohnut » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:32 pm

I believe the diode is to ensure that power only flows one way, (into the pi) rather than potentially going into your telly and frying it.

Ps I have no idea how likely that is, but for the want of a 20p diode, is it worth it?

Lpoolm
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:17 am
Location: uk
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Post by Lpoolm » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:04 pm

Holydohnut wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:32 pm
I believe the diode is to ensure that power only flows one way, (into the pi) rather than potentially going into your telly and frying it.

Ps I have no idea how likely that is, but for the want of a 20p diode, is it worth it?
thanks, happy with that explanation!!
football predictions using updated sensible soccer: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOTIa0 ... oDHX_mND8g

User avatar
RogerX
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:59 am
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 53 times
Contact:

Re: How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Post by RogerX » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:10 am

Tipiti wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:52 am
I have soldered the surface pin header. Then, i checked with my multimeter...
Pins 14&16 and 1&3 connect. Is it normal ?
No, they shouldn't... you likely have a solder bridge causing a short:
Image
-RogerX
Instagram & Twitter: @iamroot ( http://instagram.com/iamroot )
sudomod Discord: Roger the Bananaman

Tipiti
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:17 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Post by Tipiti » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:43 am

RogerX wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:10 am
Tipiti wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:52 am
I have soldered the surface pin header. Then, i checked with my multimeter...
Pins 14&16 and 1&3 connect. Is it normal ?
No, they shouldn't... you likely have a solder bridge causing a short:
Sorry, i wasn't home... Thanks for the reply !

I wasn't talking about the pi, i've soldered the surface pin header with the pcb and the pin numbers refered to the pcb.
I don't see a solder bridge... Maybe under the pin header ? Maybe it's normal ?

How to know ? Desolder everything ? It won't be easy :?

Oldnck
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:24 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Post by Oldnck » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:15 am

Hi there. I have followed the build instructions and have everything working except when I run the power using the adapted with diode installed the system will work fine for a few mins then reboot, run for another min then reboot. I have tried different power sources for the usb at the adpater end. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Solved: the slim HDMI cable I purchased was 4.5 Meyers long and was loosing current or something, I swapped to a shorter cable and it's working now.
Last edited by Oldnck on Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

prerunnerseth
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 5:36 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 229 times

Re: How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Post by prerunnerseth » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:52 pm

Tipiti wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:43 am
RogerX wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:10 am
Tipiti wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:52 am
I have soldered the surface pin header. Then, i checked with my multimeter...
Pins 14&16 and 1&3 connect. Is it normal ?
No, they shouldn't... you likely have a solder bridge causing a short:
Sorry, i wasn't home... Thanks for the reply !

I wasn't talking about the pi, i've soldered the surface pin header with the pcb and the pin numbers refered to the pcb.
I don't see a solder bridge... Maybe under the pin header ? Maybe it's normal ?

How to know ? Desolder everything ? It won't be easy :?
1 and 3 yes... if youre going by the numbering on the snes zero board. 14 and 16 no. they shouldnt be shorted. probably a solder bridge under the pin hearder. i would just try cleaning the solder off with solder wick and resoldering.

Thundercracker79
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:12 am
Location: Northwest Indiana
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Post by Thundercracker79 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:46 am

If I don't have a USB port on my tv would this be a better option for me? Or just use a cell phone charger?

C2G/Cables to Go 42223 HHDMIVoltage Inserter, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AJP3PM/re ... Dzb3CR389P

Tipiti
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:17 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Post by Tipiti » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:22 am

prerunnerseth wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:52 pm
Tipiti wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:43 am
RogerX wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:10 am


No, they shouldn't... you likely have a solder bridge causing a short:
Sorry, i wasn't home... Thanks for the reply !

I wasn't talking about the pi, i've soldered the surface pin header with the pcb and the pin numbers refered to the pcb.
I don't see a solder bridge... Maybe under the pin header ? Maybe it's normal ?

How to know ? Desolder everything ? It won't be easy :?
1 and 3 yes... if youre going by the numbering on the snes zero board. 14 and 16 no. they shouldnt be shorted. probably a solder bridge under the pin hearder. i would just try cleaning the solder off with solder wick and resoldering.
Yes, i was using the numbering on the board.
Thanks, i'll try to desolder 14 and 16... and maybe the whole thing !

It makes me mad to be that bad at soldering ! :x
I bought a bunch of 1$ electronics kits on ebay to practice :oops:

User avatar
RogerX
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:59 am
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 53 times
Contact:

Re: How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Post by RogerX » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:45 pm

Just waiting on the PCB! :) Imported an original SFC controller because I prefer the color scheme and I like that it's "different" as far as branding...
Image
-RogerX
Instagram & Twitter: @iamroot ( http://instagram.com/iamroot )
sudomod Discord: Roger the Bananaman

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest