[GUIDE] Stripping a Raspberry Pi3

Various user-contributed guides for hardware-related things
firestw152

Re: [GUIDE] Stripping a Raspberry Pi3

Post by firestw152 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:28 am

dryja123 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:25 pm
Rule #1: don't force anything.

When properly applied you can wiggle the component back and forth and it will come out. If it's giving you too much resistance it will break.
I also did not wiggle I just kinda tried pulling up. Thanks for the tips. Will try again if I end up breaking this pi.

Eccho

Post by Eccho » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:54 am

firestw152 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:28 am
dryja123 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:25 pm
Rule #1: don't force anything.

When properly applied you can wiggle the component back and forth and it will come out. If it's giving you too much resistance it will break.
I also did not wiggle I just kinda tried pulling up. Thanks for the tips. Will try again if I end up breaking this pi.
Hi, sorry for the late reply.
The trick in this guide and the chipquick is to always take your time. Especially when you do this for the first time. The estimated three minutes from Dryja is probably a bit exagerated ( :mrgreen: ) and he must be also more experienced. The first time I did it it took me 6 hours as I tested at EVERY step if the board was still intact. Also I tried desoldering but that didn't work out at all (no chipquick, just adding lead solder). The second time it took me 1h30, including even all the pictures I had to take for the guide. Right now it is a job done 30min.

Long story short, don't push anything, take your time ;)
Last edited by Eccho on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:17 am

Yeah, I should have been more accurate with my time. The whole process, from prep, removing components, to cleanup will take about 1.5 to 2 hours. 3 minutes was from the point of applying the chipquik to removal of the component, that's even taking your time. The stuff stays molten for a while and the parts will come right out as long as you properly spread heat with your iron (hot air preferred) and wiggle the parts out.

I'll film a video if I ever get the need to desolder a Pi3 again. Just like Eccho said, take your time!