Pi Zero Burned

Raspberry Pi hardware discussion (including peripherals)
Fleder

Re: Pi Zero Burned

Post by Fleder » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:35 am

Tamasco wrote:I do have, in the right of my screen board picture, right? I have three buttons.
Oh yeah, sorry. I mistook your thread with another one.
Yeah, so you really can just wire white or yellow and change the source with your buttons, if they allow it.
SidSilver was right, sorry.

Yes, you should be good with only GND to the pin besides the Video IN on the Pi.
At least if you do not power your board/screen from elsewhere.
You will always need a common ground for everything or else it will not work.

Tamasco

Post by Tamasco » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:50 am

Fleder wrote:
Tamasco wrote:I do have, in the right of my screen board picture, right? I have three buttons.
Oh yeah, sorry. I mistook your thread with another one.
Yeah, so you really can just wire white or yellow and change the source with your buttons, if they allow it.
SidSilver was right, sorry.

Yes, you should be good with only GND to the pin besides the Video IN on the Pi.
At least if you do not power your board/screen from elsewhere.
You will always need a common ground for everything or else it will not work.
Thanks for all your help.

So, to sum up, my mistake was to use an alternative 12v power supply for the screen. This power had ended in the Pi0, and burned it. Right?

Mischief

Post by Mischief » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:04 am

This is how I hooked mine up as mine had a 2 channels

[spoiler="image"]Image

(image makes the screen look blurry but it isn't)[/spoiler]

Try running through HDMI into a tv and see if it boots.

Tamasco

Post by Tamasco » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:10 am

Mischief wrote:This is how I hooked mine up as mine had a 2 channels

[spoiler="image"]Image

(image makes the screen look blurry but it isn't)[/spoiler]

If you mean the burned Pi0, I have already tried that. Not even the led flashed... :cry: R.I.P

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:11 am

Mischief wrote:This is how I hooked mine up as mine had a 2 channels[/spoiler]

Getting the power directly from the input is not a good idea!
It can lead to problems if you "rob" the voltage directly from where the pi is supplied with it.
Wire red to the pin mentioned in the picture. This pin is meant for powering other components,
the input to the pi is not. Also you do not need 2 GND connections.

Mischief

Post by Mischief » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:24 am

Tamasco wrote: If you mean the burned Pi0, I have already tried that. Not even the led flashed... :cry: R.I.P
That sucks :( They seem to be back in stock at Pimoroni and Pihut (although I am in the UK)
Fleder wrote:Getting the power directly from the input is not a good idea!
It can lead to problems if you "rob" the voltage directly from where the pi is supplied with it.
Wire red to the pin mentioned in the picture. This pin is meant for powering other components,
the input to the pi is not. Also you do not need 2 GND connections.
Did not know that :oops: I only ran it for about a minute just to test, I am planning on doing the same as wermy and making a power rail, when you say 2 ground connections do you meen I only need to hook up the yellow wire for video signal?

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:30 am

Mischief wrote:Did not know that :oops: I only ran it for about a minute just to test, I am planning on doing the same as wermy and making a power rail, when you say 2 ground connections do you meen I only need to hook up the yellow wire for video signal?
Don't panic.
It can run without any damage, but it could also ruin your SD Card, if there is a power peak.

I mean you can get rid of the black wire you also applied to the Power Input of the Pi.
You only need the one besides your yellow cable, one ground is enough.

Mischief

Post by Mischief » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:38 am

Fleder wrote:
Mischief wrote:Did not know that :oops: I only ran it for about a minute just to test, I am planning on doing the same as wermy and making a power rail, when you say 2 ground connections do you meen I only need to hook up the yellow wire for video signal?
Don't panic.
It can run without any damage, but it could also ruin your SD Card, if there is a power peak.

I mean you can get rid of the black wire you also applied to the Power Input of the Pi.
Looking at wermy's guide (http://sudomod.com/game-boy-zero-guide-part-3/) he did the same as me to power the screen, My screen had a common ground for VS1, VS2 and power hidden inside the block so I looped main ground to video ground (simulating the original cable block)

[spoiler="inside the block"]This is what was inside the block on the original loom:

Image[/spoiler]

Which GPIO pins can I use to power external devices? I have a small usb hub to test and I don't want to hook it up to the same pads for testing.

Tamasco

Post by Tamasco » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:41 am

Mischief wrote:
Tamasco wrote: If you mean the burned Pi0, I have already tried that. Not even the led flashed... :cry: R.I.P
That sucks :( They seem to be back in stock at Pimoroni and Pihut (although I am in the UK)
Yeah, just after burning it, I ordered a new one :mrgreen: My online regret is that you can not order more than one, and save more shipping costs. Anyone knows why there is this policy?
Mischief wrote:
Fleder wrote:
Don't panic.

Looking at wermy's guide (http://sudomod.com/game-boy-zero-guide-part-3/) he did the same as me to power the screen, My screen had a common ground for VS1, VS2 and power hidden inside the block so I looped main ground to video ground (simulating the original cable block)

[spoiler="inside the block"]This is what was inside the block on the original loom:

Image[/spoiler]

Which GPIO pins can I use to power external devices? I have a small usb hub to test and I don't want to hook it up to the same pads for testing.
If you check the GPIO schema in Google, you will se that the first GPIO pines, are 3.3v, 5v, and ground. As @Fleder said, you can used those ones (I will).

Mischief

Post by Mischief » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:49 am

I ordered 1 from Pimoroni and 1 from the Pihut at the same time as they both limit to 1 per customer ;)