How to go about wiring PWM audio?

Raspberry Pi hardware discussion (including peripherals)
GameDragon

How to go about wiring PWM audio?

Post by GameDragon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:34 pm

Hey guys.

I purchased an Easy PWM Audio filter from Kitsch-bent as well as a stereo amp, but I'm confused on how to wire those + potentiometer + headphone jack + speaker all together.

I noticed a bunch of wiring diagrams for several All-In-One boards, but I'm not using any. Any tips?

methuper

Re: How to go about wiring PWM audio?

Post by methuper » Tue May 30, 2017 5:09 pm

did you ever get this figured out?

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:10 pm

Hey, I'm also doing a build with PWM audio with a headphone jack, kitsch-bent mono amp and a diy low-pass filter. Here is my complete wiring.
SpoilerShow
GBZ Wiring.png
GBZ Wiring.png (814.05 KiB) Viewed 8586 times

RogerX

Post by RogerX » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:28 am

RetroRocket wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:10 pm
Hey, I'm also doing a build with PWM audio with a headphone jack, kitsch-bent mono amp and a diy low-pass filter. Here is my complete wiring.
SpoilerShow
GBZ Wiring.png
Any chance you can show the wiring to the headphone jack to the speaker? I'm assuming that inserting a headphone plug deactivates the speaker?
-RogerX
Instagram & Twitter: @iamroot ( http://instagram.com/iamroot )
sudomod Discord: Roger the Bananaman

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:35 am

RogerX wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:28 am
RetroRocket wrote:
SpoilerShow
GBZ Wiring.png
Any chance you can show the wiring to the headphone jack to the speaker? I'm assuming that inserting a headphone plug deactivates the speaker?
What headphone jack are you using? The diagram I posted shows the wires from the jack to the speaker. And yes, plugging in your headphones interrupts the circuit and redirects it into your headphones instead of to the speaker.

RogerX

Post by RogerX » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:46 am

RetroRocket wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:35 am
RogerX wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:28 am
RetroRocket wrote:
SpoilerShow
GBZ Wiring.png
What headphone jack are you using? The diagram I posted shows the wires from the jack to the speaker. And yes, plugging in your headphones interrupts the circuit and redirects it into your headphones instead of to the speaker.
Well, I was trying to figure out how to run this initially on a USB sound card where I wanted to attach a speaker, which failed miserably. So I bought a pack of generic jacks on eBay which are in a drawer at home... I'm guessing jacks are different and I just haven't paid close enough attention to tracing the pinouts.
-RogerX

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:36 am

RogerX wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:46 am
Well, I was trying to figure out how to run this initially on a USB sound card where I wanted to attach a speaker, which failed miserably. So I bought a pack of generic jacks on eBay which are in a drawer at home... I'm guessing jacks are different and I just haven't paid close enough attention to tracing the pinouts.
I gotcha. if you post a picture of your jack I might be able to help you figure out which pins correspond to the five pins I have on mine. Usually the ground is centrally located and connected to the "rim" (the external ring you can see as you plug the headphones in) and two each for left and right channel. Since you're probably doing mono sound you can link several of these together as I did.

Here's a close-up picture of the wiring from my amp to the speaker.
SpoilerShow
DSC_0001 (6).JPG
DSC_0001 (6).JPG (7.41 MiB) Viewed 8543 times
Sorry the focus is so blurry on the jack, but the right two pins are wired together, which in turn is connect to the far left pin, which goes to the amp.

RogerX

Post by RogerX » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:05 am

RetroRocket wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:36 am
Here's a close-up picture of the wiring from my amp to the speaker.
SpoilerShow
DSC_0001 (6).JPG
Sorry the focus is so blurry on the jack, but the right two pins are wired together, which in turn is connect to the far left pin, which goes to the amp.
This is perfect, thank you! It will help as I put together my next GBZ.
-RogerX