Raspberry Pi Zero LCD screen

Raspberry Pi hardware discussion (including peripherals)
Atreses

Raspberry Pi Zero LCD screen

Post by Atreses » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:19 pm

Hello,
I'm looking for a good 5" lcd screen for my project. I want to connect it like in GameBoy Zero project, and power it from battery. I'm not really sure if it's gonna work fine with RPi Zero, that's why I'm here.
I'm condsidering these two:
1. http://www.banggood.com/Car-Rear-Rearvi ... 98967.html
2. http://www.banggood.com/5-Inch-TFT-LCD- ... 21614.html
In 1st link someone in the comment section metioned that there's probably a voltage regulator inside, so it might be easier to use this screen in my project.
In 2nd. link in the comment section there are photos of a board, but it really doesn't tell me much. Which one is better in Your opinion? Would it work normally with 5V power supply? Has anyone used them before?

wermy
Site Admin

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero LCD screen

Post by wermy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:52 pm

Very hard to say which would be better without taking them apart and looking at them. How much space do you have to work with, though? Or rather what kind of case are you putting it in? Depending on how much you're willing to spend, you could get a 5" hdmi screen. I suspect a composite screen at that size is going to look pretty muddy/fuzzy. There are loads of cheap HDMI screens on ebay (many of which run directly off USB power), like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Inch-800-480- ... Sw8vZXNU6n
ImageImageImageImage

Atreses

Post by Atreses » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:50 pm

I'm going to 3D print the housing shell, so I can change size a little. I wanted to make the prototype lowest possible cost, that's why I was looking for that kind of screen. Anyway, each one of the HDMI screens I found was touch sensitive, it's useless for me, that's why I wasn't considering them.
I'll think about it, it's not really more expensive than two I mentioned, so it won't make the whole project too expensive.
But what about sending video signal to external monitor? I would need some kind of hdmi splitter, and I'm not sure if I could make/find any, which would fit to the casing. Is there an easy way out?

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:02 pm

Atreses wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:50 pm
I'm going to 3D print the housing shell, so I can change size a little. I wanted to make the prototype lowest possible cost, that's why I was looking for that kind of screen. Anyway, each one of the HDMI screens I found was touch sensitive, it's useless for me, that's why I wasn't considering them.
I'll think about it, it's not really more expensive than two I mentioned, so it won't make the whole project too expensive.
But what about sending video signal to external monitor? I would need some kind of hdmi splitter, and I'm not sure if I could make/find any, which would fit to the casing. Is there an easy way out?
Ah, yeah if you're wanting to output to a monitor while displaying on the LCD at the same time, hdmi probably isn't an option.

Edit: I hope you share your progress as you go! I'd love to see what you come up with for a case. :) What kind of printer do you use?
ImageImageImageImage

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:25 pm

IMO, it depends how simple you want the installation to be.

The BangGood screens can probably be made to work, through trial and error, possibly having to buy a couple of models before you find one that can be made to work. Really, you won't know until it's in your hands, disassembled, so you can see what you're working with.

An HDMI screen should be much simpler to install than composite. You *should* just be able to edit the config file on your SD card (to get the correct resolution/aspect ratio), then plug it in and have it work. The down side is, yes, you'd need a splitter to output to a second screen. Personally, I don't see that as a big issue - I've got a Pi3 for big screen gaming, which is frankly smaller and more portable than any handheld will ever be.

The other thing to consider with an HDMI screen is if it connects with GPIO or with USB for power. A USB screen is theoretically easier to install (less software tweaking), and it's a thinner installation since it doesn't need headers. If you see a 5" LCD that connects with a clip-looking HDMI connector, it's going to be a GPIO screen, like this: https://goo.gl/lMHnyF The other problem with that style of screen is that they're sized to fit a Pi3, not a Pi0, so if you solder a header block onto the Zero and plug it into the back of the screen, the HDMI connector won't be in the right spot. It's not the end of the world, but it's a bit of a hassle, and USB-powered screens are just simpler. The screen in Wermy's link is USB powered, so that would be a decent option.

I'm actually using this 5" HDMI screen in my build: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2561

It does have a touch screen, but it's really easy to remove, so don't let that put you off. The touch screen... sucks. I don't think it's really usable, as the accuracy is terrible, and there are dead spots around all the edges. It's just a glass panel that's stuck on the front of the LCD with double-sided tape, so you can pop it off by carefully sliding an X-acto blade along the seam, then desoldering the ribbon cable (it's flexible, so hold the iron on the pads and carefully peel away the cable). I documented it; just need to post the tutorial. As an added bonus, the screen looks much better *without* the touchscreen. The touch glass has a matte finish that makes the image look blotchy and dull; without it, the screen is brighter and sharper.

Ultimately, it's about compromise. A composite screen is cheaper and allows you to connect another HDMI screen, but there's a bigger chance of frustration in installation. An HDMI screen can be a little more expensive, and sacrifices the second screen capability (unless you add a splitter), but it's more likely to be a simple install.

Atreses

Post by Atreses » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks for Your answers. I'll probably choose hdmi display and remove touch sensitive layer. I'm considering using HD3SS215 from TI to switch video output. First, I need to test it, but I'm optimistic about it.

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:33 pm

BTW, I posted the tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2744