How to Program Helder's All in One GBZ PCB with Arduino IDE

Discussion about other hardware (including other Pi-like boards)
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: How to Program Helder's All in One GBZ PCB with Arduino IDE

Post by Helder » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:55 pm

PotaTox wrote:I'm sorry @Helder about the constant barrage of posts about this, but I think I found what I will do: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic ... #msg475663. Does that look okay? I just really don't want to spend more money and have to wait. Also, one more question: I once supplied 5v and ground through the ISP pins when I was first using the all in one, did I fry anything with that?
AVRDudess has support for tons of programmers including the arduino as ISP so you can still follow the guide but change the programmer. I doubt you fried anything unless you put 5v somewhere else instead of the VCC solder hole. Need to use common sense sometimes and read what is written on there and if you don't know something don't mess with till you know what it's for.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

PotaTox

Post by PotaTox » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:22 pm

Helder wrote:
PotaTox wrote:I'm sorry @Helder about the constant barrage of posts about this, but I think I found what I will do: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic ... #msg475663. Does that look okay? I just really don't want to spend more money and have to wait. Also, one more question: I once supplied 5v and ground through the ISP pins when I was first using the all in one, did I fry anything with that?
AVRDudess has support for tons of programmers including the arduino as ISP so you can still follow the guide but change the programmer. I doubt you fried anything unless you put 5v somewhere else instead of the VCC solder hole. Need to use common sense sometimes and read what is written on there and if you don't know something don't mess with till you know what it's for.
Oh, so I can just follow your USBasp guide, but switch the USBasp to Arduino as ISP?

jeffy1021

Post by jeffy1021 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:46 pm

I believe each guide is completely separate and should be followed exactly.

SwingeyP

Post by SwingeyP » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:39 am

Hello @Helder,

I have programmed the board with the USB guide and once I got the correct driver all seemed to go smoothly.

Programmed, verified and fuses set etc.

I still cant get EmulationStation to detect the controller :-(

I've tried everything I can think of now but still no joy.

Is there anything on the Pi0 that needs confuguring or should it just detect the game controller at startup?

I have a clean install of retropie v3.8.1
I have moved the PSU wires to the USB pins as you mentioned.
Everything else is still wired as pics above.
I have checked the 5v on the board and on the pins at the MCU (carefully).

Everything seems as it should be but I still have no joy.

Is there anything else I can do?
IMG_3440.JPG
IMG_3440.JPG (3 MiB) Viewed 13994 times
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[color=#8000BF][b][size=85]https://www. ... b][/color][/size][/size]

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:44 pm

Plug it into a PC and like in the Arduino IDE tutorial and see if it's detected in the PC as a controller. You can also go into the Retropie config with a keyboard then configure the gamepad that way. The Retropie has to be configured for the controller with the controller so it doesn't magically just know it's the AIO and sets it up for you.

Test it on the PC first and we will go from there.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

SwingeyP

Post by SwingeyP » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:09 am

Hello @Helder,

Ok.

I reconnected the USB lead as I had originally and hooked it up to my Win10 PC.

All I see is the USB Not recognised error message popup and the device shown as :

'Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)' in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers list.

I have tried swapping the white and green wires but when I do this nothing is detected at all (makes sense)

So, nothing detected by the Win10 PC.
IMG_3405.JPG
IMG_3405.JPG (1.98 MiB) Viewed 13970 times
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[color=#8000BF][b][size=85]https://www. ... b][/color][/size][/size]

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:53 am

SwingeyP wrote:Hello @Helder,

Ok.

I reconnected the USB lead as I had originally and hooked it up to my Win10 PC.

All I see is the USB Not recognised error message popup and the device shown as :

'Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)' in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers list.

I have tried swapping the white and green wires but when I do this nothing is detected at all (makes sense)

So, nothing detected by the Win10 PC.

IMG_3405.JPG
Do you happen to have another PC to try it on? I checked every board before shipping it so it's hard to believe that there could be a problem with it.

Before I replace it could you try another PC and also reflow the 12MHZ oscillator as if that somehow isn't properly soldered on then the USB part of the board will not function properly and give the errors you're getting.

PotaTox

Post by PotaTox » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:28 pm

Alright, I couldn't get it to work with uploading the program via the arduino, but I did burn the bootloader on. I then tried to send code from the IDE, and apparently it uploaded? It still wont work in notepad though, going to try it on another computer.

Edit #1: It didn't work on another PC. Going to test if it is actually uploading by uploading a different program.

Edit #2: Serial communications work, so why wont the gameboy code work? I think it may be because it is viewing it under "Ports" in device manager.

Edit #3: Disregard what I said above. I uploaded a program that presses A, and it worked. It must be a problem with my libraries. I didn't actually extract the new arduino version, doing that now

Edit #4: Extracting stuck on libusb0.dll multiple times, trying everything I can.

Edit #5: Remember that program that I made that presses A? Well, I forgot to include delays :lol:. Have to put my computer into sleep mode after plugging it in just to stop the pressing of the A.

Edit #6: Thanks to the program "Keyboard Locker" I was able to get rid of the A pressing program. Thank heavens!

Edit #7: Screw it, I'm going to edit the code to run on actual key presses, it's the only thing that works.

PotaTox

Post by PotaTox » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:23 am

Success! I made my own code and it works! Lesson of the story: If you have an arduino uno, burn the bootloader onto the ATmega32U4, you can then upload code with the IDE

SidSilver

Post by SidSilver » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:02 am

Glad to here that