USB Hub Question

Discussion about other hardware (including other Pi-like boards)
EX0K

USB Hub Question

Post by EX0K » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:43 pm

I have a USB Hub that has wires colored orange, green, blue, white, and black. From what I read online, orange is 5V, blue is D-, green is D+, and white is ground. The wires snapped off of the USB Hub's board while I was working on it and I decided to dissect that wire to see where the black wire went. It turned out to be a protective coating around the other wires.

I am replacing the wires with the standard red, white, green, black wires, but my question is what did the original black wire do? I assumed it was another ground wire for the board, but I'm not sure. The labels on the USB Hub's PCB board for the five pins don't tell me specifically what each pin does. There are three/four labels for five pins; VCC, DPDM, and GND. I looked around online and can't find anything for the label DPDM; I assumed it meant D+ and D- in one. Any help is appreciated!

Merlin04

Re: USB Hub Question

Post by Merlin04 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Can you post a picture of the USB hub?
I haven't been active for a while. I periodically check the forum and blog for interesting projects, but don't post very much.

EX0K

Post by EX0K » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:19 pm

I don't have the board on me right now, but here's a picture from someone else (It's on the right): (Removed, see next post for the board)

I can post a picture of mine tomorrow, but here's what I remember from memory:
pins.png
pins.png (19.54 KiB) Viewed 4491 times
Last edited by EX0K on Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

EX0K

Post by EX0K » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:03 am

Here is the picture of the board:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 4480 times
The pins I'm talking about are next to the left USB.

EX0K

Post by EX0K » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:41 pm

I was able to get my hub to work (it wasn't working before because of the other end of the data lines). I soldered the two right-most pins to ground. I still would like to know why USB hubs have five wires (on the board) instead of four. Any information is appreciated!