GBO cartridge connector replacement

Discussion about other hardware (including other Pi-like boards)
Mynasru
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:02 pm
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 5 times

GBO cartridge connector replacement

Post by Mynasru » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi all!

With this topic, I want to gather information and start a talk about a proper modern replacement for the Gameboy (Original) cartridge connector. Why would we want a replacement connector?.. well, first of all, original connectors are hard to get and/or expensive. Secondly, High-speed protocols (USB, SD, HDMI) all need a high-quality and stable connection (low resistance, etc). This can only be achieved by using a more modern connector (USB, PCIe, etc.).

The connector should be something like this:
  • - commonly available (in quantity 1).
    - can transport at least 1 USB channel and power.
    - SD channel for external storage.
    - expansion pins from Pi/microcontroller.
    - not fragile (for obvious reasons).
    - should fit in a BG casing and in a BG cartridge.
    - 3D printable bracket to hold the connector is a good option.
This adds up to around 12+ pins.

Please come up with suggestions, experiences, tips and tricks! :)

This topic originates from here.

User avatar
Dextech
Posts: 205
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:43 am
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 438 times

Re: GBO cartridge connector replacement

Post by Dextech » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:18 am

I think adding expansion capabilities to gbz would be a neat feature (let say usb hub for multiplayer mode 8-) ) but when I was looking at highspeed data connection solutions I found one major problem: number of pins(size) vs number of mating cycles. All true highspeed (PCIe and similar) connections are ment to be done only few times: 10-20 times, so this is no good for our needs. Things that are ment to be connected hundreds of times usualy have small number of connection pins (sata, usb) so no good again.
I think option here would be slimline sata (the one you find on laptop dvd drive). It has 13 pins and mating cycle of 500 times. Other option I think could be hdmi - it has 19 pins and mating cycle of 5000. Both fit sizewise and are comonly available.
Don't grow up.
It's a trap.

Mynasru
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:02 pm
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: GBO cartridge connector replacement

Post by Mynasru » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:45 am

Dextech wrote:I think adding expansion capabilities to gbz would be a neat feature (let say usb hub for multiplayer mode 8-) ) but when I was looking at highspeed data connection solutions I found one major problem: number of pins(size) vs number of mating cycles. All true highspeed (PCIe and similar) connections are ment to be done only few times: 10-20 times, so this is no good for our needs. Things that are ment to be connected hundreds of times usualy have small number of connection pins (sata, usb) so no good again.
I think option here would be slimline sata (the one you find on laptop dvd drive). It has 13 pins and mating cycle of 500 times. Other option I think could be hdmi - it has 19 pins and mating cycle of 5000. Both fit sizewise and are comonly available.
Thx for your info. It was indeed what I found too. We could use multiple connectors (like USB) next to each other if they can be aligned properly, but this is not the optimal solution. I also looked into CF-cards, the male (device) sockets are commonly available and have plenty of pins. I don't know how the connection is called, though.

User avatar
Dextech
Posts: 205
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:43 am
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 438 times

Re: GBO cartridge connector replacement

Post by Dextech » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:56 am

Mynasru wrote:I also looked into CF-cards, the male (device) sockets are commonly available and have plenty of pins. I don't know how the connection is called, though.
You are right, CF card connector would be perfect in every aspect. Very common, tested through decades, sizewise should fit perfect, pins are good for 0.5A (usb standard) and 10.000 mating cycles. And it would even fit a look of 30 years old gaming device :D
rsz_img_20170213_195134.jpg
CF card is a nice fit inside cartridge
rsz_img_20170213_195134.jpg (77.43 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
Don't grow up.
It's a trap.

User avatar
Funkenschuhster
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:54 am
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: GBO cartridge connector replacement

Post by Funkenschuhster » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:35 am

Dextech wrote:
Mynasru wrote:I also looked into CF-cards, the male (device) sockets are commonly available and have plenty of pins. I don't know how the connection is called, though.
You are right, CF card connector would be perfect in every aspect. Very common, tested through decades, sizewise should fit perfect, pins are good for 0.5A (usb standard) and 10.000 mating cycles. And it would even fit a look of 30 years old gaming device :D
rsz_img_20170213_195134.jpg
CF sounds good. 50 Pins for use :D
Will a micro hdmi fit beside the CF port?
Please come up with suggestions, experiences, tips and tricks!
For me USB, Power, HDMI is important. In my opinion we can breakout all other stuff (i2c, rs232, whatever) via USB . Correct me If I'm wrong :D
May we should consider of switched power and permanent power. With that in mind, we could use it as powerbar :mrgreen:

Mynasru
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:02 pm
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: GBO cartridge connector replacement

Post by Mynasru » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:01 am

Does somebody have the resources to test with CF slots?

User avatar
abrugsch
Posts: 971
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:00 am
Has thanked: 356 times
Been thanked: 430 times
Contact:

Re: GBO cartridge connector replacement

Post by abrugsch » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:15 pm

Mynasru wrote:Does somebody have the resources to test with CF slots?
They are a standard part... Easily available so just needs a pcb designing to fit and position it right. I may know of one(or 2) such people.
Also a possibility is PCMCIA sockets...

User avatar
Funkenschuhster
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:54 am
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: GBO cartridge connector replacement

Post by Funkenschuhster » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:25 am

Also thought of that. With that in mind, It would be possible to make an Atari, Nintendo, Playstation unique rom cartridge. On the other hand no USB for Arduino etc and no HDMI passtrough...

User avatar
kite
Posts: 924
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 4:30 am
Location: UK
Has thanked: 236 times
Been thanked: 305 times
Contact:

Re: connector replacement

Post by kite » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:39 am

Exactly, and CF's aren't cheap.. seeing as you need a USB adapter ANYWAY to use it, you may as well put a usb-to-sd on the PCB in the cart in the first place and now we're back to square one looking for a connector :P

The ones I see working are:
- Mini/mico/full HDMI (19pins)
- SATA (22pins)
- IDE 2.5" (40pins)
- USB type C (24pins)

The best seems to be a IDE 2.5" because this is a really standard 2.00mm pitch THT connector.. it means it'll come in other number of pins too (incase it is too long to fit!).

User avatar
abrugsch
Posts: 971
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:00 am
Has thanked: 356 times
Been thanked: 430 times
Contact:

Re: GBO cartridge connector replacement

Post by abrugsch » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:01 am

kite wrote:The best seems to be a IDE 2.5" because this is a really standard 2.00mm pitch THT connector.. it means it'll come in other number of pins too (incase it is too long to fit!).
the biggest problem with that is going to be alignment. DF card receptacles have a nice long slot slider mech to ensure alignment on insertion. 2mm pitch header pins are notoriously hard to align, and the cartridges aren't exactly a precision aligned device ;). granted, same applies for CF unless you have an injection moulded guide part for the cartridge or hack an actual CF card...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest