With this topic, I want to gather information and start a talk about a proper modern replacement for the Gameboy (Original) cartridge connector. Why would we want a replacement connector?.. well, first of all, original connectors are hard to get and/or expensive. Secondly, High-speed protocols (USB, SD, HDMI) all need a high-quality and stable connection (low resistance, etc). This can only be achieved by using a more modern connector (USB, PCIe, etc.).
The connector should be something like this:
- - commonly available (in quantity 1).
- can transport at least 1 USB channel and power.
- SD channel for external storage.
- expansion pins from Pi/microcontroller.
- not fragile (for obvious reasons).
- should fit in a BG casing and in a BG cartridge.
- 3D printable bracket to hold the connector is a good option.
Please come up with suggestions, experiences, tips and tricks!
This topic originates from here.