Source of battery charger/boostconverter

Discussion about other hardware (including other Pi-like boards)
Oxodao

Source of battery charger/boostconverter

Post by Oxodao » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:46 pm

Hey,

I found out that the cheap powerbank you can get at any store (probably Walmart for the US, Tesco for UK and Carrefour / Action for France) can deliver up to 1A so that would be pretty correct for the Pi Zero... And best of all, it contains everything. Unfortunately it's really tiny so you'd rather keep the original micro usb port(SMD), though the USB that delivers the voltage is easy to tap on after removing the port, and that could save you some money and shipping if you are far from Adafruit's warehouses..

If you can put the 18650 inside your GBZ that would be even better though I doubt you can...

Some of them comes with a simple bar meter to show the power left in the battery, that can even be modded to appear on the GBZ...
Last edited by Oxodao on Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arduino sketch for the gamepad (Teensy replacement): http://github.com/oxodao/GBZGamepad

joe7dust

Re: Source of battery charger/boostconverter

Post by joe7dust » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:29 pm

Oxodao wrote:Hey,

I found out that the cheap batteries you can get at any store can deliver up to 1A so that would be pretty correct for the Pi Zero... And best of all, it contains everything. Unfortunately it's really tiny so you'd rather keep the original micro usb port(SMD), though the USB that delivers the voltage is easy to tap on after removing the port, and that could save you some money and shipping if you are far from Adafruit's warehouses..

If you can put the 18650 inside your GBZ that would be even better though I doubt you can...

Some of them comes with a simple bar meter to show the power left in the battery, that can even be modded to appear on the GBZ...
Can you give an example of what you consider to be "any store" ? Here in the US this type of stuff is actually quite rare to find in a random shop.

Fortunately I was able to find a booster board on ebay a few states away for $3 w/ free shipping, and it looks like it will work with any random 3.7v cellphone battery that I have laying around. Another great thing about lipo cellphone batteries is that they were designed to be thin and lay flat, meaning you can fit a much higher capacity into the same area than is possible w/ a cylindrical casing.

Oxodao

Post by Oxodao » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:21 pm

Yeah I just thought that my explanation was not that clear..

So what I mean is the portable battery that are meant to recharge your mobile phone when you're travelling.
By any store I mean most general store. In France that's Carrefour, Leclerc and mostly at Action (which is probably a real life equivalent of ebay chinese store), in US I would guess that you can fond them at Walmart and Tesco or any poundland for UK

Edit: I guess the english word for what i mean is Powerbank
Arduino sketch for the gamepad (Teensy replacement): http://github.com/oxodao/GBZGamepad

Robvp

Post by Robvp » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:52 pm

I'm using one of those on my build, you can put it inside the dmg but it will be pretty intrusive, i got mine free from my carrier but i've seen similars around 5 bucks at walmart, they also have some that deliver 2 amps and have 2 batteries inside for around 10 bucks

Also I don't believe you can charge the battery while powering the pi, it's something touted by the powerboost, but if this is saving me 30 bucks I don't mind that at all