Raspberry Pi3 A+ available.....

Discussion about other hardware (including other Pi-like boards)
lightpixel

Raspberry Pi3 A+ available.....

Post by lightpixel » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:58 am

Stek692003

Re: Raspberry Pi3 A+ available.....

Post by Stek692003 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:13 am

I wonder who is going to be the first to put one in a Gameboy, hopefully someone will fit one to the Circuit Sword Lite board and encourage me to have a go.

Hellweaver666

Post by Hellweaver666 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:45 am

I bought one too - I'm happy to try upgrading my CSL to the A+ if you wanna send me the adapter to test! :)

Stek692003

Post by Stek692003 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:57 am

kite wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:40 am
Stek692003 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:13 am
I wonder who is going to be the first to put one in a Gameboy, hopefully someone will fit one to the Circuit Sword Lite board and encourage me to have a go.
Mocking it up in design, it won't fit "as is", but with a small PCB only adapter, it MIGHT do! I've bought one to try out (I do have the original A+ but it's buried somewhere..) , and if an adaptor can be made I'll share the files so people can buy from OSHpark or ALLPCB or any other PCB company cheaply, so we'll see!
I'm still to mount the pi zero on my second Circuit Sword Lite so will keep a look out for your progress on this.

Stek692003

Post by Stek692003 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:34 am

kite wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:12 am
Stek692003 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:57 am
kite wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:40 am

Mocking it up in design, it won't fit "as is", but with a small PCB only adapter, it MIGHT do! I've bought one to try out (I do have the original A+ but it's buried somewhere..) , and if an adaptor can be made I'll share the files so people can buy from OSHpark or ALLPCB or any other PCB company cheaply, so we'll see!
I'm still to mount the pi zero on my second Circuit Sword Lite so will keep a look out for your progress on this.
Yeah I'd still do that if I were you, doing some more mock ups it is not going to be easy.. it's still going to require removing stuff from the board to get it to fit! Really if you want a Pi3, get the Circuit Sword (with CM3 built in) because that actually fits..
Very close
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Similar size to the cartridge
SpoilerShow
After looking at the pi against the board in-order to fit in its current position I would loose 1 case mounting point, part of back button support would need to be removed, a corner of the pi would need to be trimmed to gain access to the CSL mounting screw. Mounting in this position would also make the SD card non removal unless something like an SD extender is used. All possible but I'm sure there is a neater solution.

With a bit of case trimming it looks like it may be possible to fit in the cartridge slot and have access to the SD slot from there. To do this something like the pi3 adapter from the earlier SAIO may be of use. Do you have any of these available?

kite

Post by kite » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:32 am

I don't have any of those adapters any more, it is something that i could do.. i've ordered a small 'adapter' PCB which should allow it to fit (in that position you have issues with all the things you have mentioned and also the battery bay). The adapter rotates it 90 degrees and flips it
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

Stonewinchester

Post by Stonewinchester » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:44 am

Has anyone had any luck? I'm set to receive a CSL on the next shipment found this thread while looking for someone that has mounted a 3a+ on it. I'm going to start looking at possible solutions once I receive the board but wondering if anyone has any findings of their own so far?

I'm also interested as to what the adapter some are talking about might look like. I feel like that'd be a useful path to start on.

kite

Post by kite » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:40 am

The biggest issue is that the 3A+ needs 5v to run, the CSL passes in the VBAT voltage (3.3-4.2v) which works on the Zero, but the A+ has a different power management and likely won't work unless battery fully charged

Maybe at some point i'll pick the adapter back up, i've got a design and prototypes but not tested yet, it has a built in 5v boost
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage