LPs mintyPi [COMPLETE]

Show off your completed mintyPi, or post your build logs here!
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: LPs mintyPi

Post by Helder » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:55 pm

I've looked at numerous punches and actually ordered a bunch all with shit results and I even considered a desktop cnc machine to make perfect holes but couldn't justify the cost for this and not to mention no space for it.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:30 pm

Couple of tips:

A grinding bit in a Dremel (or even by hand) will give nice, clean holes. Far less likely to tear/deform the metal than a drill bit.

Also, a diamond grit file will be much, much quieter for filing out the front ports. As an alternative, you can also use a nail file or sanding stick (though you may need to cut it to fit).

MrDralixx

Post by MrDralixx » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:43 pm

wermy wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:53 am
If you have a dremel, some tiny bits and a steady hand you can do 90% of it that way and then just finish off with the files to get the edges nice and clean. :)
I was planning on using my cordless Dremel as the lighter weight and lack of a cord makes it easier to control and less chance of goofing the holes. Then do the finishing touches with the hand files.

fractaltheory

Post by fractaltheory » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:55 pm

ICMF wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:30 pm
Couple of tips:

A grinding bit in a Dremel (or even by hand) will give nice, clean holes. Far less likely to tear/deform the metal than a drill bit.

Also, a diamond grit file will be much, much quieter for filing out the front ports. As an alternative, you can also use a nail file or sanding stick (though you may need to cut it to fit).
This looks like the specific bit you mentioned: https://www.dremel.com/en/products/-/sh ... ding-stone - but it's a silicon carbide material that says it's for non-ferrous material. Do you think it'll be fine to use something like this or should an aluminum oxide material be used instead?

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:16 pm

I just did a google image search for Dremel grinding bits. I didn't mean those specific bits, just a fine-pointed, conical grinding bit, as opposed to cylindrical. spherical or flat flat grinding bit, or a high-speed cutting bit. Yes, you'd be better off with an aluminum oxide bit (or a diamond point), but if you're okay with throwing out the bits after a single use, you can probably get away with silicone carbide to cut a mint tin.

If you're looking for a specific set, something like this is cheap and should do the job well: https://goo.gl/iLtC6N You'll need to drill a small pilot hole, but it should make quick work cutting through the metal to get clean, round holes.

Lphillimore

Re: LPs mintyPi [UPDATE]

Post by Lphillimore » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:48 am

Build temporarily on hold. Was 'complete' but then had further white screen issues. Currently working through resolving 😎

Lphillimore

Re: LPs mintyPi [COMPLETE]

Post by Lphillimore » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:52 am

All I want to do is play it now but the battery is low....knew i should have added those diodes as advised by Helder... :lol:

Maybe in due course.

:mrgreen:
Attachments
20170728_003355-1512x2016.jpg
20170728_003355-1512x2016.jpg (712.4 KiB) Viewed 7433 times

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:16 pm

ICMF wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:30 pm
Couple of tips:

I'm going to pick up one of these diamond sanding bits after work. 5/64 of an inch is super tiny and should be perfect for precise cuts for power and the switch:
dremel bit.gif
dremel bit.gif (13.73 KiB) Viewed 7421 times
Edit: the bit measures 1.9mm.

ICMF

Re: LPs mintyPi [COMPLETE]

Post by ICMF » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:57 pm

I would actually suggest going with a larger diameter bit. Something more like this:
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1L1b_FVXX ... b-font.jpg

(again, not specifically that one. it's just the first image result with vaguely the right shape)

It will let you use it more like a drill bit - push it against the tin until your hole is the right size - which will give a cleaner, smoother hole. Kind of like the step drill for drilling out the GBZ button holes. Using a smaller bit, like the 1.9mm, you can't drill the full hole, so you'll have to 'trace' around to get your circle, and it won't be perfectly round.

Your bit will work okay for the slots, but it's less suited for the button holes.