Screen protector idea

Show off your completed mintyPi, or post your build logs here!
Nazzlantern

Screen protector idea

Post by Nazzlantern » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:25 pm

So I've got a compulsive desire to whack a screen protector on just about every piece of handheld tech I own. Whilst this project already offers some protection via its clamshell design, I tried looking around to see if any ready made protectors existed for the 2.4inch screen from Helder's PCB/screen combo.... and I couldn't find any.

The solution I resorted to was fashioning a spare plastic screen protecter down to size.

The exposed front pane of the screen component itself measures 40mm x 52mm, but when measuring the protector I'd recommend erring 1mm smaller for the above measurements so there's less chance of overhanging film. I used a pair of scissors to cut the protector, but perhaps a decent guillotine may also do the trick!

(Sadly I didn't take photos of the various stages of creation)

Before application. Clean, clean, then clean again.
IMG_2119.JPG
IMG_2119.JPG (1.49 MiB) Viewed 3611 times

After application (and basically after bullying away any air bubbles... try not to put as much unnecesary pressure on the screen via squeegee as I did). Happy with the lack of dust on the business end of the screen - ignore the adhesive portion on the left :-S
IMG_2121.JPG
IMG_2121.JPG (1.14 MiB) Viewed 3611 times

Testing the screen to make sure I didn't bust it
IMG_2130.JPG
IMG_2130.JPG (2.16 MiB) Viewed 3611 times
IMG_2129.JPG
IMG_2129.JPG (2.08 MiB) Viewed 3611 times
Success!

Now the bezel will actually cover a few mm all around the edge, so the protector doesn't necessarily need to cover every last square mm of the screen, hence its best to err on the smaller size when cutting your protector to size.
IMG_2132.JPG
IMG_2132.JPG (2.36 MiB) Viewed 3611 times
Alternatively, you could just measure the bezel and place an appropriately sized protector on after initial assembly.

Anyway, thought this was a pretty cool little extra touch.

rodocop

Re: Screen protector idea

Post by rodocop » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:07 pm

Good idea!

Nazzlantern

Re: Screen protector idea

Post by Nazzlantern » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:45 am

Cheers!