Red Penguin Caffeinated Cinnamons Tin v3

Show off your completed mintyPi, or post your build logs here!
kazriko

Red Penguin Caffeinated Cinnamons Tin v3

Post by kazriko » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:00 am

I built up my Cinnaminty Pi today. I wasn't able to use the cinnamon's tin that was sitting on my desk for a decade, but I grabbed one off Ebay that was in better shape and built this. What better tin to put a Linux based device in than one with a penguin on it.

The guide isn't quite right for this tin, it's ever so slightly larger than an altoids tin. Because of that the headphone jack is just a touch off where it should be, but I'll take a small polishing wheel with my dremmel to it soon to open the hole just enough to access the headphone port. It was very difficult to fit the main board into this tin as well, as it seems to have a bigger lip around it than the altoids ones.

Exterior:
mintyext.jpg
mintyext.jpg (122.27 KiB) Viewed 4887 times
Interior:
piinside.jpg
piinside.jpg (102.7 KiB) Viewed 4887 times
Buttons and charging:
pitinside.jpg
pitinside.jpg (87.43 KiB) Viewed 4887 times
I originally had a set of red plastic, but they got melted by sitting in my car for a day... It does make me worry about this unit as well, I think I'll only take it with me when I'll be able to keep it in my pocket the whole time, and not in a bag or in the console of my car where the PLA might melt, get misshapen, and brittle. I have considered having Shapeways print up a set of these parts for the purposes of extended temperature ranges.

Bought a bunch of new tools for this project, including a new soldering iron. My old one would have never been able to pull this project off.

brodyhaymond

Re: Red Penguin Caffeinated Cinnamons Tin v3

Post by brodyhaymond » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:23 pm

I like the custom tin!