Add an analog stick

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
Bloob

Add an analog stick

Post by Bloob » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:29 am

I was browsing amazon for parts for a mintypi and out of curiosity I searched up a 3ds analog stick there were quite a few. It had a slim 4pin ribbon connectors coming out the side, I was thinking what if we could insert the analog stick below the dpad because all we would need is a ribbon connector clip thing on the control board right? Here's a link: https://www.amazon.ca/Assecure-replacem ... eplacement

dryja123

Re: Add an analog stick

Post by dryja123 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:06 pm

Bloob wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:29 am
I was browsing amazon for parts for a mintypi and out of curiosity I searched up a 3ds analog stick there were quite a few. It had a slim 4pin ribbon connectors coming out the side, I was thinking what if we could insert the analog stick below the dpad because all we would need is a ribbon connector clip thing on the control board right? Here's a link: https://www.amazon.ca/Assecure-replacem ... eplacement
Hey, welcome to the community! This topic has been covered on some previous threads. I believe the difficulty lies in wiring up the analog stick to the GPIO ports to the Raspberry Pi and getting it to function properly.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:29 pm

Yep there are two problems: the library we're using for GPIO input simply emulates a keyboard, which wouldn't work well at all for an analog input. There may be other options out there for this, though. The other issue is there is not much room for the base of the stick. You only have (I think) like 3.5mm to work with.
ImageImageImageImage

Bloob

Post by Bloob » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:22 pm

Right thanks