Complete beginner need help

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
Diam0ndz

Complete beginner need help

Post by Diam0ndz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:19 pm

Hi. I am a complete beginner when it comes to hardware. And I would really like to get started with it, and I love the idea of MintyPi. I just don't understand how to go about to start the project, what I need to buy, etc.

I have seen the build guide and it confuses me.

Thanks.

Roller Toaster

Re: Complete beginner need help

Post by Roller Toaster » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:58 pm

Read more forum posts. Read other people's questions just like yours and see where they went. Watch the original GBZ/mintypi build videos and any related video you find. Simply put, lurk more. I had never tackled a project like this when I first joined, either.

Diam0ndz

Post by Diam0ndz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:22 pm

Roller Toaster wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:58 pm
Read more forum posts. Read other people's questions just like yours and see where they went. Watch the original GBZ/mintypi build videos and any related video you find. Simply put, lurk more. I had never tackled a project like this when I first joined, either.
Hi, thats what i've been doing last night (like actually, no sleep).

I think I now have a very basic understanding about what stuff is. Like PCB is the little board-like think that you connect things to, etc, etc.

I even put together a list of everything I need in a notepad. :D

please do tell me if there is anything wrong with the list. I don't want to waste any money! Thanks!
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (31.93 KiB) Viewed 5238 times

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Your list looks good. the screen + PCB combo was $35 too. When it is back in stock it will likely be the same. Helder has also released a $10 PCB for battery monitoring and safe shutdown too.

Elmafioso90

Post by Elmafioso90 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:15 pm

Get a good soldering iron, some Weller/Kester solder (depending if you are in the US or Europe you'll find one or the other cheaper), some flux, kapton tape and go buy some protoboards locally on eBay to practice your skills. One month ago I didn't even know how to turn on or tin the tip of a soldering iron, but with some practice I finished my first GBZ and you won't even be able to tell that my soldes are made by a beginner.

Also, as suggested, read and ask questions here. Don't hesitate, people is really nice here ;)

Diam0ndz

Post by Diam0ndz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:53 pm

rodocop wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:08 pm
Your list looks good. the screen + PCB combo was $35 too. When it is back in stock it will likely be the same. Helder has also released a $10 PCB for battery monitoring and safe shutdown too.
Thanks. I Changed it up a bit. My dad's friend has a 3D Printer, so we are going to 3d print some parts, but took off about $35, which is good, the same person also has a soldering Iron, and knows a lot about Raspberry PIs, so he is going to help us out, which is great!

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (31.93 KiB) Viewed 5203 times
Elmafioso90 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:15 pm
Get a good soldering iron, some Weller/Kester solder (depending if you are in the US or Europe you'll find one or the other cheaper), some flux, kapton tape and go buy some protoboards locally on eBay to practice your skills. One month ago I didn't even know how to turn on or tin the tip of a soldering iron, but with some practice I finished my first GBZ and you won't even be able to tell that my soldes are made by a beginner.

Also, as suggested, read and ask questions here. Don't hesitate, people is really nice here ;)
As mentioned above, my dad's friend has a soldering iron, and I just asked him, and he said he has some test boards, which I am assuming is the same as protoboards. He is going to help me with the soldering iron, which is awesome. And whats good about the Minty Pi, is that all the soldering is covered up! haha. And I have been reading around, in fact, i found a link that showed an even cheaper Speaker than before, which is awesome! ($2 cheaper)

Thanks for your help, both of you! :)