mintyPi 2.0

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
yogurtcup

Re: mintyPi 2.0

Post by yogurtcup » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:28 am

wermy wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:38 pm
yogurtcup wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:35 pm
I see. Where did you find or where can you get your buttons?
You can find sets of DS Lite buttons on ebay or amazon. If you spend a few more bucks to get a whole case set you'll have a wider variety of colors available, I've found. :)
Strangely enough, all I can find are conductive pads for the ds lite. The few ones I found aren't in the colour I want.
Am I looking properly?
mintyPi splash screens: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2802

yogurtcup

Post by yogurtcup » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:34 am

Oh my god I'm blind.
Attachments
IMG_0495.PNG
IMG_0495.PNG (294.59 KiB) Viewed 10325 times

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:36 am

yogurtcup wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:28 am
Strangely enough, all I can find are conductive pads for the ds lite. The few ones I found aren't in the colour I want.
Am I looking properly?
This seller has some... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Buttons-A ... 0T9jd1QC5g

But yeah I'm not seeing as many as before. :\ Hopefully I didn't cause a run on them. You can search for "DS Lite Shell" and a lot more results come up. It'll be an whole DS Lite shell, but will include the buttons too. It's a couple bucks more (like $10 total) but there are a lot more options that way. Even some on amazon. :)
ImageImageImageImage

moosepr

Post by moosepr » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:41 am

Sirlias wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:19 am
moosepr wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:54 am
The Jack of Clubs wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:42 pm
how much do you think itll cost to put one of these together?

also wermy, buy one of these and make it fit -> http://a.co/cbJoXYt :D
Well the zero will physically fit in that tin, but you will have to sacrifice on the screen size. I did start thinking when someone else mentioned it. The lid doesn't seem to hinge from what I can tell on gwegle image searches, so that might stop things a little

The pricing shouldn't to too expensive.
Zero w $10
Tft $6 ish
Tin (technically free if you have eaten the mints)
Buttons should only be a few dollars
Then it's just wires and 3d printing
Where in the world are you finding a TFT that will work for $6? Plus this build is no good without a battery and therefore a Powerboost is needed. It would be awesome if it could be built for under $50 though.
This is a slightly bigger screen, but it should still fit

http://s.aliexpress.com/N36fUFzq

You can run the pi straight from the battery without boost, maybe just a 2 dollar charge protect board for safety. Check the projects in my signature for more details
Get a small cheep LCD in your project https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2312
Wrap it all round a battery https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2292
Or use a custom PCB to make it really small https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2512
or make it really really really really tiny!! https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2919

yogurtcup

Post by yogurtcup » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:49 am

wermy wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:36 am
yogurtcup wrote:
Am I looking properly?

But yeah I'm not seeing as many as before. :\ Hopefully I didn't cause a run on them. You can search for "DS Lite Shell" and a lot more results come up. It'll be an whole DS Lite shell, but will include the buttons too. It's a couple bucks more (like $10 total) but there are a lot more options that way. Even some on amazon. :)
How about DSi buttons? They are probably way more common but I think they use tactile buttons rather than rubber pads.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:18 pm

wermy wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:36 am
yogurtcup wrote:
Am I looking properly?

Question about buttons, I have found some buttons on ebay, but I was wondering if you also used the DS lite shoulder buttons (or some other tactile type button?), just wondering if I need to buy the shoulder buttons, triggers, and springs etc...or just the ABXY and directions.

I'm pumped to build this, respond if you have a chance, otherwise I will just wait for the guide.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:31 pm

rodocop wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:18 pm
Question about buttons, I have found some buttons on ebay, but I was wondering if you also used the DS lite shoulder buttons (or some other tactile type button?), just wondering if I need to buy the shoulder buttons, triggers, and springs etc...or just the ABXY and directions.

I'm pumped to build this, respond if you have a chance, otherwise I will just wait for the guide.
Nope, I do not use the shoulder buttons -- just a couple of tactile switches that poke out the back a bit so they are nice and discreet. I suppose you could work out a way to use the shoulder buttons if you really wanted to, but cutting/modifying the tin is very difficult to do cleanly. Little round holes for the tact switches are much easier. :)
ImageImageImageImage

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:40 pm

wermy wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:31 pm
rodocop wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:18 pm

Nope, I do not use the shoulder buttons -- just a couple of tactile switches that poke out the back a bit so they are nice and discreet. I suppose you could work out a way to use the shoulder buttons if you really wanted to, but cutting/modifying the tin is very difficult to do cleanly. Little round holes for the tact switches are much easier. :)
That's good to know, didn't really know how well the shoulder buttons would work. Plus I have a bunch of tactile switches already.

Claw22000

Post by Claw22000 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:07 pm

Do these TFT screens I'm seeing really have a good enough response time to actually game on? I just want to make sure I'm getting the right one. This will be the first pi zero project I have ever made and want it to be a good expierence. I'll be making 3 of them and more if friends want them. 1 for me and 1 for each of my boys. I know that I can setup a portable router to allow us to play games together with to cool features of retropie.

Thanks for taking the time to answering our questions. Still waiting on your parts list to make final purchases. I have PIs already. :D

DrClaw

Mischief

Post by Mischief » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:40 am

Sorry if it's been asked before I did look but didn't find it but would there be a way of raising the button part to be closer to the lip? My fingers don't bend so well since I broke my knuckles.