mintyPi 2.0

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
User avatar
wermy
Site Admin
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 619 times
Been thanked: 1319 times
Contact:

Re: mintyPi 2.0

Post by wermy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:11 pm

yogurtcup wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:03 pm

I see. But couldn't i use these over the conductive pads? Or are they too large/small in size?

Could also see using the 3DS analog stick, but maybe thats asking for too much :lol:
Well the models I made have integrated button-well sort of things, and the shape of those would need to change quite a bit. The 3DS buttons are also quite a bit shallower than the DS Lite ones. It might be possible but I'd have to rework several things.

On the left is DS Lite, right is 3DS:
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
FullSizeRender 3.jpg (630.74 KiB) Viewed 4744 times
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
yogurtcup
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:43 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: mintyPi 2.0

Post by yogurtcup » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:35 pm

wermy wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:11 pm
yogurtcup wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:03 pm

I see. But couldn't i use these over the conductive pads? Or are they too large/small in size?

Could also see using the 3DS analog stick, but maybe thats asking for too much :lol:
Well the models I made have integrated button-well sort of things, and the shape of those would need to change quite a bit. The 3DS buttons are also quite a bit shallower than the DS Lite ones. It might be possible but I'd have to rework several things.

On the left is DS Lite, right is 3DS:

FullSizeRender 3.jpg
I see. Where did you find or where can you get your buttons?
mintyPi splash screens: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2802

User avatar
wermy
Site Admin
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 619 times
Been thanked: 1319 times
Contact:

Re: mintyPi 2.0

Post by wermy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:38 pm

yogurtcup wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:35 pm
I see. Where did you find or where can you get your buttons?
You can find sets of DS Lite buttons on ebay or amazon. If you spend a few more bucks to get a whole case set you'll have a wider variety of colors available, I've found. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Sirlias
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:09 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: mintyPi 2.0

Post by Sirlias » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:23 am

I really envy those of you who can design those all in one boards. If I had any skill in that department whatsoever I would be all over designing one for this project. I love this one. So cool.

User avatar
TheDeviantZen
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:57 am
Location: Leiria, Portugal
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: mintyPi 2.0

Post by TheDeviantZen » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:02 am

Damn it! Altoids are not sold in Portugal :( and seems to be pretty expensive to buy from uk because of the cost of the shipping :( :( :(

ICMF
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:52 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: mintyPi 2.0

Post by ICMF » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:22 am

wermy wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:11 pm
The 3DS buttons are also quite a bit shallower than the DS Lite ones.
Do you have dimensions of the buttons? I'd planned to use 3DS buttons on my build... now I'm worried they may not fit. I didn't actually bother to measure the depth (didn't really want to disassemble my 3DS :lol: )

User avatar
muniosi
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:21 pm
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: mintyPi 2.0

Post by muniosi » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:40 pm

wermy wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:11 pm
The 3DS buttons are also quite a bit shallower than the DS Lite ones.
Hmm, maybe this could be a good thing! With a redesign, could using 3DS buttons instead of DS Lite buttons make for more room inside the Altoids tin?
I've just finished my milk.

The Jack of Clubs
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:50 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: mintyPi 2.0

Post by The Jack of Clubs » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:42 pm

how much do you think itll cost to put one of these together?

also wermy, buy one of these and make it fit -> http://a.co/cbJoXYt :D

User avatar
moosepr
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:18 am
Has thanked: 69 times
Been thanked: 241 times
Contact:

Re: mintyPi 2.0

Post by moosepr » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:54 am

The Jack of Clubs wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:42 pm
how much do you think itll cost to put one of these together?

also wermy, buy one of these and make it fit -> http://a.co/cbJoXYt :D
Well the zero will physically fit in that tin, but you will have to sacrifice on the screen size. I did start thinking when someone else mentioned it. The lid doesn't seem to hinge from what I can tell on gwegle image searches, so that might stop things a little

The pricing shouldn't to too expensive.
Zero w $10
Tft $6 ish
Tin (technically free if you have eaten the mints)
Buttons should only be a few dollars
Then it's just wires and 3d printing
Get a small cheep LCD in your project https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2312
Wrap it all round a battery https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2292
Or use a custom PCB to make it really small https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2512
or make it really really really really tiny!! https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2919

Sirlias
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:09 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: mintyPi 2.0

Post by Sirlias » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:19 am

moosepr wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:54 am
The Jack of Clubs wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:42 pm
how much do you think itll cost to put one of these together?

also wermy, buy one of these and make it fit -> http://a.co/cbJoXYt :D
Well the zero will physically fit in that tin, but you will have to sacrifice on the screen size. I did start thinking when someone else mentioned it. The lid doesn't seem to hinge from what I can tell on gwegle image searches, so that might stop things a little

The pricing shouldn't to too expensive.
Zero w $10
Tft $6 ish
Tin (technically free if you have eaten the mints)
Buttons should only be a few dollars
Then it's just wires and 3d printing
Where in the world are you finding a TFT that will work for $6? Plus this build is no good without a battery and therefore a Powerboost is needed. It would be awesome if it could be built for under $50 though.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest