mintyPi 2.0 News & Updates

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
rednakes

Re: mintyPi 2.0 News & Updates

Post by rednakes » Wed May 17, 2017 8:31 pm

@wermy Can we substitute another material for the PC+PBT material you used for the hinges and screw holes, assuming that PLA may not be durable enough? Most of the budget-to-mid level 3D printers cannot do polycarbonates out of the box.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed May 17, 2017 8:35 pm

rednakes wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 8:31 pm
@wermy Can we substitute another material for the PC+PBT material you used for the hinges and screw holes, assuming that PLA may not be durable enough? Most of the budget-to-mid level 3D printers cannot do polycarbonates out of the box.
Sure, you can use whatever you want. :) I just personally wouldn't trust PLA in the long-term. ABS would probably be fine.
ImageImageImageImage

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Thu May 18, 2017 9:52 am

Added a quick update to the first post. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Sirlias

Post by Sirlias » Thu May 18, 2017 10:17 am

wermy wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 9:52 am
How close to centered is it if you flip the screen upside down? There are tutorials on how to rotate the screen image so is there another reason this is not a viable option? I know my 2.4" screen with board is much thinner on the other side of the screen than the side with the majority of the connecting points.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Thu May 18, 2017 10:24 am

Sirlias wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 10:17 am
wermy wrote:
How close to centered is it if you flip the screen upside down? There are tutorials on how to rotate the screen image so is there another reason this is not a viable option? I know my 2.4" screen with board is much thinner on the other side of the screen than the side with the majority of the connecting points.
Here's a post I made in the screen thread: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2887&start=30#p30864
You can kind of get an idea from that. Screen would be off-center, and screw holes would not wind up being symmetrical. As I say you could probably make it work, but it not be great looking. :\ Hopefully Helder will get his missing pieces soon, and assuming everything checks out there, we'll be able to order a bunch of the screens/cables/connectors and have a nice clean solution for everyone.
ImageImageImageImage

Sirlias

Post by Sirlias » Thu May 18, 2017 10:34 am

wermy wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 10:24 am
Sirlias wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 10:17 am
wermy wrote:
Here's a post I made in the screen thread: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2887&start=30#p30864
You can kind of get an idea from that. Screen would be off-center, and screw holes would not wind up being symmetrical. As I say you could probably make it work, but it not be great looking. :\ Hopefully Helder will get his missing pieces soon, and assuming everything checks out there, we'll be able to order a bunch of the screens/cables/connectors and have a nice clean solution for everyone.
OK, I think I see it now. Thanks.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu May 18, 2017 3:32 pm

Been bullshit delays with the screen connectors so I'm looking at another supplier for some samples, I'm almost about to just solder the ribbon to the board but this isn't something everyone is capable of and requires more work for the end user. Another week is likely to be given to these connectors but in the mean time Wermy and I can test the boards and finalize tweaks and I can also put an order in for the screens if it's all good so atleast there isn't much waiting after that for all parts needed for the build.

I will be sending these boards to the fabricator and have them assemble the sockets but since it's only 1 or 2 components it's a really quick turn around.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

exodus

Post by exodus » Thu May 18, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi,
New here and looking forward to this project! Thanks for the updates

drafterITA

Post by drafterITA » Thu May 18, 2017 10:57 pm

uhm, a quick question that is buzzing in my mind for a while now.. will the sd card be accessible without removing the 3d printed parts?
like cutting a hole on the right side of the altoids tin?
Cheers! :D
drafterITA

Orangebuster

Post by Orangebuster » Fri May 19, 2017 12:04 am

Judging by the picture posted up update 5-9 it looks like the SD card won't me anywhere near the edge of the tin to make a hole on the side. But maybe the 3d printed parts won't me that hard to remove to access the SD card