MintyPi Stand

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
affensause

MintyPi Stand

Post by affensause » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:55 pm

Hello,

First of all I like to thank everyone of you for your great support, skills, pre-orders and basically making all this good stuff available for most people. 😊

Would like to thank Kite for making the AiO (came out nice and I am super happy with my first GBZ) and Wermy for running Sudomod and making an idea to reality. Of course thanks goes to Helder for his awesome PCB design and being the important part of making this build a piece of cake for most of us here 😊 Thank you guys!

I am about to build my 2 mintyPis and I love to show off my handheld (legit or custom) collection inside a glass cabinet. (WAF is very low though, so I got my own room with all my Nerd Stuff, yeah!) 😊

I wanted to give something back to this great community, so I designed a stand for the minty Pi. It does support the Altoids tin with all its internals. It stands in a 25 degree angle and you can put it in closed or open without falling over, even when pushed. So its your choice to "show off" or "show off off" :lol:

I have cut out a little bit at the bottim to make room for the power switch and added the awesome logo and MintyPi font to the front of the stand. (Thanks @ Wermys Friend (?) 😊)

Keep in mind these pictures are done with an iPhone, bad light, it's a testprint, and the mintypi is not even ready (although I have put all components in to simulate the weigth).

The print came out ugly AF. For a test I printed with 60mm/s, PLA at 195°C (Bed 55) and 0,3mm layer Hight. It came out bad as expected. Print time was 43mins at these settings. And I just wanted to quickly have something to test with, so I printed with bad quality.

RL pics:
Image Image Image Image Image

STL Model:
Image Image

You might be wondering why there is a gap in the bottom. Well, that is to reduce print times and use of plastic. The stability isn't affected.

I recommend the following print settings:

40-50mm/s
0,12mm layer hight
4 top and bottim layers
2 perimeters
90% layer hight for the first layer and 35% speed for first layer. (see attached my S3D settings).
Print time at these settings: 2:03hrs. (but its worth the wait to have a nice clean and clear stand)

But it all comes down to your experience and of course which printer you have

Extruded:

Download:
MintyPiStand_Debossed.stl
MinityPi_Stand.stl

Excuse my English. Sometimes I believe it’s hard to read for native speakers. Don't shot me, I am German :)
Hope you guys like it :)
Last edited by affensause on Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

wermy
Site Admin

Re: MintyPi Stand

Post by wermy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:02 pm

Thanks for this! I'll print out a few tonight. :)
ImageImageImageImage

affensause

Post by affensause » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:04 pm

Cool, let me know how they come out :)

affensause

Post by affensause » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:06 pm

I forgot. For my printer I had to rotate the stl in my slicer on the Z Axis by 90degree so the stand faces to the front of the printer. Mine does print extruded logos better that way ;)

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:11 pm

It might be cool to see how it looks debossed - it would likely be easier to print as well. :)
ImageImageImageImage

affensause

Post by affensause » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:10 pm

wermy wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:11 pm
It might be cool to see how it looks debossed - it would likely be easier to print as well. :)
Updated 1st post to keep it together with the diffrent versions :) Indeed it does look better :)

Robochris

Post by Robochris » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:15 am

I haven't built my mintypi yet so my suggestion may be irrelevant..

How about a cutout for a charger to make it a charging stand?

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:54 am

Robochris wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:15 am

This is a great idea! It looks like a charging cord may already fit since the bottom is open, but it would be cool if had a spot to attach the end of a cable. Only issue I see would be slight variations in where people have their charging port positioned, since it's cut by hand.
ImageImageImageImage

Robochris

Post by Robochris » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:52 pm

wermy wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:54 am
Robochris wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:15 am

This is a great idea! It looks like a charging cord may already fit since the bottom is open, but it would be cool if had a spot to attach the end of a cable. Only issue I see would be slight variations in where people have their charging port positioned, since it's cut by hand.
How about some variation in the stand where the cord comes thru? A window, so to speak.

affensause

Post by affensause » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:02 pm

My post was not posted. Will reply on pc in an hour or so ;) i can make it work even with snap fit cable. But will need to take measurements from an USB micro cable which is standard. Like the amazon basic one. So everybody can use it. To fit it with slight variations in the cut out isn't relevant as the stand is open on both sites and can be slightly moved in the stand to fit the position of the USB cable. You need to give me some time though :)