[Gauging Interest] Presoldered Pi and LCD Trimming Service

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.

Would you like to have me solder the Pi to the PCB and trim and tape the LCd Ribbon?

Yes I need help in this DIY project with this service
14%
Hell no I can do it myself!
86%

Total votes: 14

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

[Gauging Interest] Presoldered Pi and LCD Trimming Service

Post by Helder » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:53 pm

Seeing all the people messing up the supposedly easy part of the guide (it was designed to be simple even for a novice ;) ) I'm seeing if people would want me to offer a Pi install service with the future purchases and also trim and tape the LCD ribbon and insert it into the socket ready to go.

This is a DIY project as was the intention but I see people skipping steps and ruining parts and then it seems the blame is how it was designed rather than the person not having the required experience to do the assembly and follow the SD card setup which is a REQUIREMENT for the LCD to function.

So if I do offer this service you will have to provide the Pi by shipping it to me and I will solder it to the PCB and ship it back with your order and also do the LCD ribbon trimming and taping. This isn't something I really want to do since this will drag orders being shipped but if there is enough demand I might consider it.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

djbriane

Re: [Gauging Interest] Presoldered Pi and LCD Trimming Service

Post by djbriane » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:05 pm

While I was able to get mine connected / soldered, I could definitely see where folks might have issues (especially if they haven't got a good soldering iron or are new to these types of projects). Maybe having a guide for troubleshooting issues related to the LCD / ribbon cable / board would help new folks, but I could easily see paying extra for an LCD + board combo that was already tested and working.

MrDralixx

Post by MrDralixx » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:41 pm

I had a couple of ideas that I was curious as to Helder's opinion on:

1. Putting a multi-folded piece of paper under the pcb to help support the middle. Clamping the ends is a great idea, but it still looks as though there could be sagging between the pcb and the pi still. I thought that maybe wedging a small piece of paper between the 3D printed gamepad cover and the pcb, would help keep it snug up against the pi.

2. Using a very thin grade of solder. Based on what I've read in the guide and watched in the video and then reviewing a few of the problems I've read people having, I am wondering if the solution would/could lie in using a thin(ner) grade of solder. I'm talking the really thin stuff that could fit in the Pi's GPIO holes. Then use the iron to heat the hole, quick insert the solder into it, quickly touch the iron back to it, and then pull iron and solder back. I saw a similar technique somewhere, but can't remember at the moment.

I am hoping to be able to tell for sure by this weekend. I thought I had everything when Wermy's parts arrived on Saturday and then I realized that the metric system sucks and I had the wrong sized speaker. :) Other than remembering that a meter and a yard are similar in size, I'm not good with the metric system at all. My mistake and I'm now waiting for the new speaker I ordered to arrive.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:26 am

I actually use 0.015' 63/37 solder which is super thin and I also use that technique of putting the iron tip in the GPIO and touching the pcb pad I add the solder then hold the tip there for 2-3 seconds and pull it out quickly.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Apis

Post by Apis » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:35 am

@Helder Do you pre-rosin the surfaces you are trying to solder? If so, just the mintypi pcb? RPi0W? Both? Thanks.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:17 pm

I line them up with the screws to the 3D part then I just add tiniest bit of solder to the tip and insert it into the hole and then apply solder to the GPIO and tip and let it sit there for 2-3 seconds and then lift. Works almost all the time with very few GPIOs needing a reflow.

Pentium

Post by Pentium » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:11 pm

I think helder should do a similar thing to what kite is doing with his SAIO boards, and offer a soldering service. Helder, you can obviously do whatever you choose, but that seems like the best solution to me.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:27 am

I could but it will get complicated fast and people need to send me the Pi so it's an added layer of possible problems but this is why I'm asking in poll if I should or not.

JadeDragon4866

Post by JadeDragon4866 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:39 am

This is a do it yourself project if your uncomfortable doing it then maybe order some spare parts and practice soldering before you try it oun the real parts and FUBAR your project!