questions about the mintyPi v3

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
Jonj84

Re: questions about the mintyPi v3

Post by Jonj84 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:32 am

Helder wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:10 pm
Jonj84 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:35 am
I have a v1 (still unbuilt) mintypi which I sourced a while back, but rather than start that project I may now wait for the v3 because this new model looks pretty mint (excuse the pun!).
I was considering selling the v1 to part fund, but wondering if I should hang on to any of the parts in case they are needed for the v3...?
Also, does anyone have any inkling as to the potential cost of the v3? I'm UK based so will need to account for oversea fees too...
I'm guesstimating around $80 but might be a bit more, it all depends on the price of the parts I source which sometimes fluctuate (really annoys me when a repeat purchase is more $$$$). The $80 guesstimate does not include the mintyPi battery and I'm not sure I will offer them outside of the USA because of all the issues in shipping Lipo batteries.
Thank for the info. I have a LiPo battery that was the same size as the one for the v1, so will this fit into the new v3 model? I'm assuming the latest iteration will still require parts to be soldered etc and that there's still some level of electronic work required. It's obviously evolved massively since the v1 and for good reason, but I like the thought of actually building it and soldering it and making it come to life from parts. Do you have any idea on the number of kits you're have available, will it be a limited run? I'm guessing its all dependent on suppliers!

Anyway guys, thanks for the info, keep up the good work and look forward to the v3!

Tony85_23061

Post by Tony85_23061 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:49 am

The V3 is a whole new beast. Your old battery will not work, sorry, you will still have to solder the PCB to the Pi, that and *maybe* shoulder buttons. The list of required parts for the V3 is as follows

An Altoids tin

That's all we know for certian at this time.
Wermy has several pictures worth looking at on his Instagram. He has several ongoing projects you'll have to do a little scrolling.

https://www.instagram.com/sudomod_wermy/

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:09 am

You can use the old batteries if you wanted to really but that is what 1200mAh and mine are 2200mAh so a big difference in play time. The new version uses cell phone batteries with 4 pins on them and some other batteries could be used besides mine but you might have to add something to the back of them to keep them pressing the pins as Wermy has designed the base around the batteries I have.

There is simple soldering to do with the exception of the Pi itself so if you are not used to doing these builds get yourself a practice board set (2 separate boars) and practice on that.

Here are the links to these boards:

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/voiBAAlu
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/UTRejiOx

The amount of kits available will depend on the preorder amount, but I usually get maybe 50-100 extra. The preorder will go for maybe 3-4 weeks.

This is from a recent build and nicely done for a V2 by McGyver. But expect to NOT SEE any of this anymore on the v3, things will be super neat with everything on the left side away from the battery, more to show on that after I have the problem on a power board sorted out.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Jonj84

Post by Jonj84 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:27 am

Helder wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:09 am
You can use the old batteries if you wanted to really but that is what 1200mAh and mine are 2200mAh so a big difference in play time. The new version uses cell phone batteries with 4 pins on them and some other batteries could be used besides mine but you might have to add something to the back of them to keep them pressing the pins as Wermy has designed the base around the batteries I have.

There is simple soldering to do with the exception of the Pi itself so if you are not used to doing these builds get yourself a practice board set (2 separate boars) and practice on that.

Here are the links to these boards:

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/voiBAAlu
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/UTRejiOx

The amount of kits available will depend on the preorder amount, but I usually get maybe 50-100 extra. The preorder will go for maybe 3-4 weeks.

This is from a recent build and nicely done for a V2 by McGyver. But expect to NOT SEE any of this anymore on the v3, things will be super neat with everything on the left side away from the battery, more to show on that after I have the problem on a power board sorted out.
Thanks Helder. I've no problem with the soldering side of things, in fact that's kind of what I want - to feel its something I've built and put together myself (the reality being you and wermy did the hard work!!). I love the improvements made as the projects has evolved, but was trying to determine whether soldering the pi to the pcb was all that was required or if there was more to it.

Regarding the batteries, I'm hoping you can provide some more specifics nearer the time of release so I can try and source one over here in the UK. I was able to match the v1 pretty well, so fingers crossed once I know a bit more about the battery and build I can start the hunt!

Thanks

Hercule77

Re: V3 questions

Post by Hercule77 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:02 pm

dryja123 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:58 pm
I can answer a few questions for you but can't go into too much detail because some things are still unknown.
LilTrublMakr wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:57 pm
-Will v3 come as a kit like v2 did in being that it will include the controller board, screen+PCB for that, and the ribbon to connect the screen and the controller board?
If so, will the screen be 2.2 or 2.4 in?

V3 will come with a kit including mostly everything you need to complete a build. You won't need to buy nearly as many parts as you would for previous versions.

I can't comment on the specifics for the screen but V3 will include a completely new custom screen.
LilTrublMakr wrote:
-What will the buying limit be for the boards?

I don't think there will be a buying limit
LilTrublMakr wrote:
-Will there be a 3.5mm headphone jack as well as a speaker? If not, what should I be looking for to make sure that I get the right jack to automatically switch from headphone to speaker? Just one with 5 pins in it?

The new board will come included with built in sound and will include a headphone jack. You will still have an option to add a speaker too.
LilTrublMakr wrote:
-Will your awesome new faceplate be available in time for v3?

I can answer a few questions for the boss. Yes, I'd imagine the new faceplate will be able for purchase and the STL files will be posted sometime after launch.
LilTrublMakr wrote:
-Will it come with the silicone buttons or will those be separate?

Helder provides the silicone buttons and they will most likely be included with the kit but I'm not sure.
LilTrublMakr wrote:
-Would there be a possibility in the future to get a 2 toned faceplate in the future? (I think a black and red one would be awesome...)

Wermy takes special orders on prints, just shoot him a PM.
LilTrublMakr wrote:
-Will the rest of the parts be the same? (basically everything but the 3D printed parts, screws, monitor/controller PCBs) I want to start sourcing parts and getting them in but don't want to buy what I don't need to buy.
transfers paris airports
Rule #1: do not buy any parts unless you know exactly what you need or you'll be wasting your money. We often see so many posts, "Hey, I bought everything I need but don't have the V2 kit". That person wasted all that money because v2 kits won't be available anymore. When the release looms closer an updated parts list will be published. We'll, I guess you could start sourcing some tins so you could start eating some mints. Your friends and significant others will love your fresh breath!
HEllo, thank you very much