MintiPi Compute Module

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
MintyJam

MintiPi Compute Module

Post by MintyJam » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:24 am

Hey,

Is it possible to get a Raspberry Pi Compute Module inside of a MintyPi?
If it is, it would be great if Helder could make custom parts for that option too.
Installation would then be easier, because you don't need to solder the Raspberry Pi to the PCB... :)
On the other hand I could not find information if the Compute Module actually has WIFI, which I think would be very useful for updates...
After all, I don't know if this would have any advantages for the MintyPi itself... :?:
Small icon-sized "logos" you can use in textShow
mintyPi logo: Image = https://i.imgur.com/SiBgwZY.png
GB CM3 logo:Image= https://i.imgur.com/vDu1oBY.png
PS: Use it as pictures!Show

Code: Select all

[img]https://i.imgur.com/SiBgwZY.png[/img] (mintyPi)
[img]https://i.imgur.com/vDu1oBY.png[/img] (GB CM3)
Image Image
Smart and Creative

Apis

Re: MintiPi Compute Module

Post by Apis » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:52 am

The compute module has WAAAAAAAY HIGHER requirements from the support board than the RPi0. I'm thinking no, very much no.

KonnorJ

Post by KonnorJ » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:45 pm

Physically and electronically it is harder and damn near impossible in this form factor

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:34 pm

I can make it work but it would not fit in the tin and be able to close, the DIMM socket adds height which limits the battery that is usable in this and still be able to close the tin. Plus the power demand is higher and this needs some kind of cooling since it's fully enclosed the Pi would overheat quite easily.

Then I would have to fit many other parts on the button board since the CM3 is missing many things and that can be a challenge too for the size of the control pcb.

Maybe using something else other than a enclosed tin sure.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

ZenoArrow

Post by ZenoArrow » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:42 am

It's worth bearing in mind that there have been two different Compute Module models released to date, the CM1 and the CM3. Both are still available to purchase AFAIK. The CM1 has similar specs to the Pi Zero, so in theory it should work without requiring extra cooling or a larger battery. Whether it's worth redesigning to use the CM1 is debatable though, whilst it would be easier to fit it's more expensive than the Pi Zero.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:52 am

ZenoArrow wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:42 am
It's worth bearing in mind that there have been two different Compute Module models released to date, the CM1 and the CM3. Both are still available to purchase AFAIK. The CM1 has similar specs to the Pi Zero, so in theory it should work without requiring extra cooling or a larger battery. Whether it's worth redesigning to use the CM1 is debatable though, whilst it would be easier to fit it's more expensive than the Pi Zero.
If you take a look at an Altoids tin try to figure out how a CM1 would fit in there along with a button pcb, buttons, battery, charging board, screen, 3d printed parts, rear buttons, and a SODIMM slot for the CM1. The only possible way it could work is if you soldered the CM to the button PCB.

The mintypi is such a tight fitting build that if you have a single wire that's slightly too thick or out of place your tin wont close. If you have one solder ball that's too thick it will press and dent the battery. It's really a compact build.

ZenoArrow

Post by ZenoArrow » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:53 am

dryja123 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:52 am
ZenoArrow wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:42 am
If you take a look at an Altoids tin try to figure out how a CM1 would fit in there along with a button pcb, buttons, battery, charging board, screen, 3d printed parts, rear buttons, and a SODIMM slot for the CM1. The only possible way it could work is if you soldered the CM to the button PCB.

The mintypi is such a tight fitting build that if you have a single wire that's slightly too thick or out of place your tin wont close. If you have one solder ball that's too thick it will press and dent the battery. It's really a compact build.
In terms of making it work, it's plausible that it could fit as long as you used a single PCB for the button contacts, power and the SODIMM slot. It'd probably still be a tight fit (and may need a slimmer battery), but it doesn't seem completely out of the question. There could also be the possibility of saving space by moving the speaker to sit alongside the screen.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:39 am

ZenoArrow wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:53 am

In terms of making it work, it's plausible that it could fit as long as you used a single PCB for the button contacts, power and the SODIMM slot. It'd probably still be a tight fit (and may need a slimmer battery), but it doesn't seem completely out of the question. There could also be the possibility of saving space by moving the speaker to sit alongside the screen.
Give it a go and let us know how it works when you get it sorted out. If you're able to figure it out you'd question if the effort was worth the results. Don't forget about cooling the CM3. The Pi0 thermal throttled a little in the latest iteration of the mintypi.

ZenoArrow

Post by ZenoArrow » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:54 am

dryja123 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:39 am
ZenoArrow wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:53 am

Give it a go and let us know how it works when you get it sorted out. If you're able to figure it out you'd question if the effort was worth the results. Don't forget about cooling the CM3. The Pi0 thermal throttled a little in the latest iteration of the mintypi.
You've misunderstood my intentions. Quoting myself:

"Whether it's worth redesigning to use the CM1 is debatable though, whilst it would be easier to fit it's more expensive than the Pi Zero."

I'm not saying it's an ideal solution, all I'm suggesting is that it could plausibly be done.

If I were to spend my time on a Minty Pi-esque device, I'd prefer using the FleaFPGA Ohm (or some other FPGA-based device that is of a suitable size), where at least it'd be different enough to warrant the effort:

https://www.fleasystems.com/fleaFPGA_Ohm.html

Before you take this the wrong way, I have very little interest in making that effort, and I have plenty of other projects I'd want to complete first.
Last edited by ZenoArrow on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks for the suggestion but if you are expecting me or someone else to go to great lengths to prove it can be done and if it's more cost effective (which it isn't) then you will be waiting a long time.

I don't mind a suggestion about things but let's be realistic here and take the advice from the people who have designed the thing that the effort is not worth it and there are many limitations because of trying to fit it into a small tin. If this was being made for it's own custom enclosure then sure it's very plausible but I also have other projects besides this one on the burner that I'd like to get to once this is out the door.

Spending time "trying" to please everyone who has a great idea is not worth my limited time to invest to have something that is going to be arguably more expensive and has less playtime. To be honest not all N64 and PSX games or other consoles play perfect on a CM3 so wishing for a CM3 mintyPi just to play a few extra systems is not going to happen, better with a GBZ CM3 build to be honest.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.