mintyPi Lite Parts List

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
LilTrublMakr

mintyPi Lite Parts List

Post by LilTrublMakr » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:27 pm

I figure this would make things much easier to find everything you need to build a mintyPi Lite in one place.

If you have never soldered a RaspberryPi to a PCB before, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you get a couple of practice boards:
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/voiBAAlu
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/UTRejiOx
YOU NEED BOTH!
It is much better to destroy a few dollars that to pay for a new kit and pi.

Official Parts: Other parts:
  • RaspberryPi Zero or RasberryPi Zero W (Recommended to wirelessly transfer files)
  • 16GB Micro SD Card: Amazon (16 GB is way more than enough to add any games the system can handle along with any metadata.)
  • 28-30 Gauge Silicone Coated Wire: Amazon (silicone coated is recommended because it does not melt as easily as plastic coated wire.)
Tools Needed:
  • Multimeter: Amazon (Yes, you absolutely NEED one. So many problems is because of a weak connection that could have been detected with a multimeter.)
  • Soldering Iron: Amazon (Any with a temperature control will do really but I recommend a 898d+ if you are going to get in to electronics.)
  • No Clean Flux: Amazon (If you get flux that needs to be cleaned, it can corrode your connections over time)
  • Solder: Amazon (63/37 rosin core is recommended. DO NOT GET PLUMBERS SOLDER!)
Optional Parts:
  • 28 Gauge Magnet Wire: Amazon (much easier to solder the speaker on with this so it closes easier and the speaker mostly stays in place.)

ertaius

Re: mintyPi Lite Parts List

Post by ertaius » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:56 pm

Just a heads up, that solder has lead in it, and i think leaded solder is actually easier for beginners to be honest.

McGyver

Post by McGyver » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:51 pm

Do we really want to start a discussion about solder with or without lead in it? Lead was always better for solid connections. You can be happy to still can use it for private! Many malfunctions on commercial devices are just caused by lead free solder. You just should not eat it and maybe wash your hands and you are safe!

ertaius

Post by ertaius » Fri May 01, 2020 7:52 am

@McGyver I totally agree. I just wanted to point out the author said not to get solder with lead in it, then listed a leaded solder. I don’t wanna argue about it, i prefer leaded. Just wanted to point out the weird contradiction is all.

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Fri May 01, 2020 7:19 pm

Ah. I meant plumbers solder. Simple mix up on my end.

tronicgr

Post by tronicgr » Sun May 03, 2020 12:43 pm

Hi, any chance someone point me to the wiring diagram for the MintyPi lite? I got everything and ready to start assembly...

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Sun May 03, 2020 2:01 pm

tronicgr wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:43 pm
Hi, any chance someone point me to the wiring diagram for the MintyPi lite? I got everything and ready to start assembly...
It’s pretty self-explanatory... solder the pi like in the v3 video, mount the parts (they just fit one way), and run short wires to the same-labeled pads on the boards.

edwin

Post by edwin » Mon May 11, 2020 1:21 am

This might be a dumb question, but what sort of charging cord goes with this?

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Tue May 12, 2020 6:48 am

You will need a 5v USB C charging cord. Most phone (no iPhone) chargers will work these days with this.