GBA Saves Without Using Save States?

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Mallard

GBA Saves Without Using Save States?

Post by Mallard » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:05 pm

Hello all,

I just finished putting together a MintyPi lite. I had a blast putting it together, and I've been having a blast playing with it so far. I have noticed something though: I seem to be unable to load saves in GBA games through the designated saving system of the game. The only way I've been able to load is through save-states.

The saves work fine when loading from a save-states, but I'm a little nervous about having no backup saves, and only one savestate.

When I choose the "save" option in Pokemon Emerald, the game warns me that a save will be overwritten if I save, and then tells me that my progress has been saved, but if I then perform a safe shutdown and reopen the game, my only option will be to start a new game.

Once in the game on the title screen, I can use a save-state to resume exactly where I left off, but again, this is just making me a bit nervous. I'd really like to have the in-game saves as a backup.

Is there something I'm missing? Is this not possible? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. So far I've only tested GBA games, so I'm not sure if it holds for other systems.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: GBA Saves Without Using Save States?

Post by Helder » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:45 am

Nothing to do with the mintyPi but the emulator itself, you can use other emulators for the GBA. I have had this issue happen too seems something is not setup properly for the save system as each rom uses different kinds of save types.

The wiki might have more info but if not you can do a save state then the saves will show up in the game after loading a save state. You should also be able to set up auto save states in set time intervals, it's not ideal but as far as I know this is a known issue.

http://web.archive.org/web/202006061418 ... Setup/wiki

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Game-Boy-Advance/
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.