Minty Pi V3 stopped working after first play session

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Mouseater

Minty Pi V3 stopped working after first play session

Post by Mouseater » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:49 am

TLDR: I assembled my minty pi V3, testing at each step to make sure it worked as outlined in the wermy video. After I had it fully assembled I play super Metroid for about an hour, shut the lid to have the magnet sensor save and shut down. Next time I booted it up no button inputs would work. I have verified that the image and the pi are good, details below. Really want to get this working as it's a Christmas present for my son.

Long story, I recently assembled my 4th minty pi V3 with parts I had left over from the first pre-order. It took my a long time to get to due to some of the health issues I have, but wanted to get it put together for a Christmas present for my son. Assembly went smooth and I didn't have any problems at all. I checked multiple times that everything was working fine through the assembly, connecting the screen powering it on and making sure buttons/sounds and what not worked. I completed finally assembly last night and noticed the charge indicator wasn't working when I plugged in the minty pi, I didn't care if the light didn't turn on so long as it worked. So I opened it up and started playing super Metroid for about an hour to drain some of the battery. I closed the lid to have it auto save and shut down and let it sit for the night not charging. In the morning I turned it back on to see where the battery level was at and no button inputs were working, restarted and still had the same problem. So I connected a keyboard to the usb port, worked fine. Connected a second USB controller via the same port and it also worked fine. So the image and pi are good. I then pulled the system apart and re-checked all my solder connections on their corresponding test pads and they all checked out, re-checked again to make sure no connections had bridged and that all checked out. Tested the cable that connects the two helder boards and it is just fine.

At this point I am stumped on what to test next as it appears that everything is connected fine and it should be working. Any ideas? I didn't see anything regarding this in the FAQs. I have attached a picture of the board as well in case that is useful.
Attachments
broken.jpg
picture of the board
broken.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 1510 times

Mouseater

Re: Minty Pi V3 stopped working after first play session

Post by Mouseater » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:50 am

While the picture doesn't show it, there was kapton tape covering all connections. It was removed when I was testing the connections.

Mouseater

Re: Minty Pi V3 stopped working after first play session

Post by Mouseater » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:59 pm

Helder was able to help me figure out some of the issues, turns out the SD card was bad and causing all sorts of problems. He was able guide through troubleshooting and the removal of a resistor that was causing an issue.