Bad Display Cables/ LCD Ribbon

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
arbinshire

Bad Display Cables/ LCD Ribbon

Post by arbinshire » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:37 pm

I ordered two complete kits with displays. Everything looks great except for the display cables. On both of mine, the copper looks like its delaminating. I can push everything flat and be incredibly gentle, but when I try to attach the cable, only half will solidly insert and lock, while the other half seems unlocked. What gives?

arbinshire

Re: Bad Display Cables

Post by arbinshire » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:45 pm

I also just realized the ribbon cable is too wide for the ribbon connector by about a half a millimeter.

Roller Toaster

Post by Roller Toaster » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:57 am

Hey, here's another post that could've been avoided with some proper reading!

Edit: sorry for the sass, but if you just looked around a little more you'd have found about 70 similar posts

Gizbro

Post by Gizbro » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:58 am

This is a known issue. Wermy has stated in other threads that a little bit has to be trimmed on either side of the cable to make it fit in the connector. Also a small amount of electrical tape needs to be applied on the back side of the cable to thicken it up a bit for a more secure fit. Wermy said that in the build video he will go over all the tips and tricks to making the build just right. He is close to completing the guide just give him some time, he's a busy man.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:37 am

Wermy said that this will be covered in the guide.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:19 am

Unfortunately these screens were meant to be directly soldered to a PCB but to make it more noob friendly I decided to use a Socket to insert them into. As this screen is meant to be soldered to a pcb it doesn't have the extra trimming on the edges to fit in a socket and is very thin, these ribbons bend easy yes so when the added tape is applied it strengthens and thickens it up and provides no issues as I have done this just yesterday and have done so on numerous screens before offering this as something for people to buy.

I will leave this here in the open because people don't bother reading other threads and will likely post again somewhere else the same thing, just wait until the guide is out and all will be answered. This is another indication to release things later than sooner because everyone doesn't read or bother searching nor do they have patience so I'll keep this in mind for future projects which I'm working on now.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

arbinshire

Re: Bad Display Cables/ LCD Ribbon

Post by arbinshire » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the ease of use by which information is readily available and organized. Truly, everything is easy to find for one who doesn't spend significant time on the forums and hasn't searched through multiple threads ripe with thread drift.

Lesson learned. Expect to spend significant time searching for information buried within multiple unorganized threads.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:14 am

When you go to a forum page there are RED indications on each thread you haven't read so maybe looking there or hell even the topic Frequently Asked Questions **Read This** is a good place to look.

But wait let me do the work for you here is what the ribbon trimming and tape is supposed to look like:

There no need to search, instant gratification.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:16 am

arbinshire wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:09 am

Lesson learned. Expect to spend significant time searching for information buried within multiple unorganized threads.
This forum is equipped with a wonderful search feature. I searched the word "ribbon" and received 55 responses instantly. The first answer, not provided in this thread, was found in the fourth or fifth response.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:27 am

dryja123 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:16 am
arbinshire wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:09 am

This forum is equipped with a wonderful search feature. I searched the word "ribbon" and received 55 responses instantly. The first answer, not provided in this thread, was found in the fourth or fifth response.
Thanks for the kind response but I have edited my previous post so everything needed is in this one thread without anyone going to to need to do a little reading besides this thread but oh wait I'm sure there will be another thread started with the same question, let's wait and see :lol: