Bad Display Cables/ LCD Ribbon

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
bnortum

Re: Bad Display Cables/ LCD Ribbon

Post by bnortum » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:13 am

Hi Helder,

I understand it's annoying that people are asking the same questions but I've been following this project for months and order my MintyPi once preorders went up. Some of us have had our preorders for over a week and we haven't received the guides. I'm pretty sure I could get this up and running without it but there might be things that you have specifically need (like clipping the cable) and I want to follow the guide to make sure I get it up to your specs. I think you guys shouldn't release the projects until you have the guides because I can tell that some people are getting upset that we're still waiting for this to get done. I also understand that your not the one who does it and I also know that creating technical guides do take a long time, heck, I train people to use software at work and make guides to use software. So I understand that it takes a while but this should have been done before the preorders have been shipped out.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:08 am

bnortum wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:13 am
Hi Helder,

I understand it's annoying that people are asking the same questions but I've been following this project for months and order my MintyPi once preorders went up. Some of us have had our preorders for over a week and we haven't received the guides. I'm pretty sure I could get this up and running without it but there might be things that you have specifically need (like clipping the cable) and I want to follow the guide to make sure I get it up to your specs. I think you guys shouldn't release the projects until you have the guides because I can tell that some people are getting upset that we're still waiting for this to get done. I also understand that your not the one who does it and I also know that creating technical guides do take a long time, heck, I train people to use software at work and make guides to use software. So I understand that it takes a while but this should have been done before the preorders have been shipped out.
It's a chicken and egg situation. If I had put the guide up first and then began shipping pre-orders, people would be obsessing over when their orders would ship. Additionally, I didn't even have final parts to start making the guide with until a little over a week ago, so rather than just sit around doing nothing, I opted to start shipping the 3d-printed parts (and helder started shipping his parts, including the ones I'm using for the guide, as soon as he got them).
ImageImageImageImage

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:54 am

bnortum wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:13 am
Hi Helder,

I agree but sometimes things don't work out as we wanted and real life got in the way of the video being released sooner as well as I getting the parts a little later than I expected and this isn't a full time job like in your situation so we do this in our free time outside our normal 8hour daily jobs. All we ask for is patience but that never happens and I will be doing as you suggested above and release things once it's all finalized and ready to go because this is the situation that arises when people stumble upon one of these projects and instantly expect everything to be there ready to go.

If I sounded like a jerk in my last response that was intentional ;) but if you (whoever is reading this) got offended then I apologize but I get frustrated at times with the lack of work people do to find answers so the response was towards that and not any particular individual.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

drafterITA

Post by drafterITA » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:23 am

Patience is the best of Virtues
"The Avatar"
Wait.. It's not an actual virtue in my games..
Cheers! :D
drafterITA

Holydohnut

Post by Holydohnut » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:58 am

Maybe it's just me, but I'd MUCH rather have the bits and be waiting for the guide, than the other way around. Imagine seeing all that mintypi goodness and not being able to build straight away because the parts were all stockpiled at wermy and Helder's houses. I don't want to exaggerate things but basically RIOT!!! :-D

And so I don't feel left out... Hey Wermy and Helder. My build pieces accidentally went in my mouth and then I ate it. Can I have a new one?

Love, Ralph Wiggum

:-)

Gizbro

Post by Gizbro » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:19 pm

Its hard to please everyone. No matter what order they decided to release this project people would get upset about something else. Wermy and Helder have put a great deal of time to give the people of this forum an amazing product/project. At the end of the day however this is just that, a project. That being said Wermy honestly doesn't even have to do a guide, we paid for the parts not the YouTube video. He's doing it because he's a good guy and he wants to see every aspect of this project completed. Its not going to ruin anyone's life to wait just a little longer and have the last piece if the puzzle and have out mintypi done right ;)

arbinshire

Post by arbinshire » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:37 pm

In any event, I tried the tape method and cut equal parts from both ribbon sides so that it would fit in the socket. I suspect I had a problem which was proven true. The traces lifted up from the ribbon despite being über gentle. Know of any other place that I can order these displays from?

keffcat

Post by keffcat » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:00 am

I've been having an issue where the terminal text shows up just fine (so it's not an LCD issue), but everything else is garbled (possibly an SPI issue or clock rate issue)? Any ideas on where to look? Here's a video of the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN7-avhbol8

and some images of the trimmed ribbon cable. I've only soldered the board to the pi zero, with no other modifications made:

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:22 am

keffcat wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:00 am
I've been having an issue where the terminal text shows up just fine (so it's not an LCD issue), but everything else is garbled (possibly an SPI issue or clock rate issue)? Any ideas on where to look? Here's a video of the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN7-avhbol8

and some images of the trimmed ribbon cable. I've only soldered the board to the pi zero, with no other modifications made:

disregard my previous post, it's very late and I'm sleepy. :). I'd make sure your ribbon cable is thick enough to make a good connection.
ImageImageImageImage

keffcat

Post by keffcat » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:28 am

wermy wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:22 am
disregard my previous post, it's very late and I'm sleepy. :). I'd make sure your ribbon cable is thick enough to make a good connection.
Turns out it was my CS pin - getting a good connection was really finicky on my board for some reason. It's all good now, thanks for the help!