Bad Display Cables/ LCD Ribbon

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Bad Display Cables/ LCD Ribbon

Post by Helder » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:26 am

arbinshire wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:37 pm
In any event, I tried the tape method and cut equal parts from both ribbon sides so that it would fit in the socket. I suspect I had a problem which was proven true. The traces lifted up from the ribbon despite being über gentle. Know of any other place that I can order these displays from?
Send it back to me as long as it's not damaged beyond what you're telling me I can swap it for another and I'll fix it for one of my builds.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Kyran

Post by Kyran » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:50 pm

I did everything wermy and you said but I can't get my screen to power properly. I added the tape for thickness and the screen is still dim, not white and I've been going at it for over 4 hours

I've done everything you could possibly do besides trying to solder the thing to the board
The Pi Guy #retromod_customs

Kyran

Post by Kyran » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:13 am

Is there anyway I could purchase the screen and board and pay extra to have you put the screen on the board? I ordered 2 sets and can't get either one to work, all four back lights come on but not enough to even make a white screen

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:13 am

2 screens going bad? Is unlikely and as I mentioned before post pictures of the soldering and connections to the boards. Did you test the screens on the 2nd LCD board? If it's dim but every thing else is working it could be a bad resistor on the board but again 2 board and 2 screens being bad is unlikely but a bad resistor is possible.

Get your multimeter out and measure the resistance on the resistor with the board disconnected from the controller pcb and let me know the value (It's very low)

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Kyran

Post by Kyran » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:12 am

Helder wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:13 am
2 screens going bad? Is unlikely and as I mentioned before post pictures of the soldering and connections to the boards. Did you test the screens on the 2nd LCD board? If it's dim but every thing else is working it could be a bad resistor on the board but again 2 board and 2 screens being bad is unlikely but a bad resistor is possible.

Get your multimeter out and measure the resistance on the resistor with the board disconnected from the controller pcb and let me know the value (It's very low)
I found the problem, it worked when I first did the testing but when I was putting the rest together, must have broke a connection somewhere, so I went through with my iron one more time and it worked

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:26 am

Kyran wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:12 am
Helder wrote:

I found the problem, it worked when I first did the testing but when I was putting the rest together, must have broke a connection somewhere, so I went through with my iron one more time and it worked
Nice, glad you got it working!
ImageImageImageImage

Kyran

Post by Kyran » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:55 am

wermy wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:26 am
Kyran wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:12 am
Helder wrote:

Nice, glad you got it working!
Thanks, now I've got problems powering the pi from the pcb lol not sure why, but I posted it on the wiring diagram forum

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:25 pm

Sounds like another bad connection or a bridge. Post pictures of it.

Kyran

Post by Kyran » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Helder wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:25 pm
Sounds like another bad connection or a bridge. Post pictures of it.
I can't get my phone to post a pic but you are right for some reason my ground connection wasn't as good as I thought, I turned it on and applied my iron to the 3.3v, the 5v, and then I tried the ground and it turned right on

Kyran

Post by Kyran » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Thank you wermy and helder for all your help, I'm really greatful now just trying to find the setup script for prebuilt sd card