Destroyed Display Cable? :/

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
BambinoPinguino

Destroyed Display Cable? :/

Post by BambinoPinguino » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:05 pm

Hey guys I think I borked my display ribbon cable. Hopefully you hardware geniuses can help me with a solution so I don't have to buy a new display! I probably spent a good hour or so trying to get the ribbon cable to show something other than a white or black screen. I was, admittedly, way too rough with the cable while trying to get an image to show up. In the end my poor display cable looked like this...

It's a hot mess, I know. (FYI, if you right click and open the image in a new tab, you can see the full res version.) I think what happened is that I kept shifting the cable around back and forth while it was still plugged in, hoping an image would appear. All that friction must have torn up the cable. Is there any saving this thing? I will buy a new display if need be, but I thought I'd ask for help first.

Thanks! Here's some extra info...

Things I tried before I noticed how terrible the cable had become.
1. Check continuity for all test pads. Everything worked fine.
2. Add masking tape and cut excess from the ribbon cable. Did both. I tried one, two, then three strips of tape. I also cut
3. Plug into hdmi and see if the pi boots Wermy's image. It booted up, I navigated through the menus and all the buttons seemed to work.

Here's an image of my board. The soldering is sloppy, I know! But the connections work xD

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Destroyed Display Cable? :/

Post by Helder » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:16 pm

:roll: Did you read the email I responded to you about this? those mutilated pins as I have said in the email are not required for anything and would go to the Touch screen which isn't even connected to the LCD. Why were you moving things around in the socket? if you trimmed it correctly and also taped it properly (why does everyone put this massive piece on the ribbon?) once it's inserted it should just work.

If you're getting a White screen then you need to have the mintyPi script install the required files to have an image show,is this what you had an issue with? If it is why did Wermy bother with the video if people are not following it or better yet the written guide with more details the video didn't touch on.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

BambinoPinguino

Post by BambinoPinguino » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:29 pm

Not sure who emailed you, but it wasn't me! :P It's nice to know I'm not the only dummy who did this though haha

Nonetheless, it sounds like you're saying there's hope. I'll go back and read Wermy's Guide and watch the video again to see what I missed.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:34 pm

I ran into a lot of issues at first and thought they could be remedied by loading the cable up with tape. Use a single piece of masking tape and if it slides out, it's not seated properly into the connector. Make sure that when you're sliding the ribbon into the connector it's almost flush with the board.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:35 pm

I swear it was the exact same damaged pins and picture but those last 4 pins are not required but pin 1 is so as long as that one is making contact with the pin in the socket it should work.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

BambinoPinguino

Post by BambinoPinguino » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:08 pm

After watching the video and reading through the guide again, I apologize but I'm still not sure what I missed. From what I understand, Wermy's image on the bottom of the guide was pre-setup and doesn't require any extra work. I am assuming that the MintyPi script ran successfully since I was able to plug the pi into my TV using HDMI and use the pads to navigate the menus. Could the script have set up the pads but not install the required files for the display? Otherwise, I don't understand why I got white screens instead of a properly working display.

Also, after more closely looking at the ribbon cable it looks like the first pin barely has anything left and the second pin is about half gone. It might take a miracle to repair this mess... any ideas?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:41 am

I can send you a replacement but you will have to pay for it with the shipping of course. Send me a PM and we can discuss shipping and payment arrangements.

BambinoPinguino

Post by BambinoPinguino » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:18 pm

Much appreciated, will do :)