Error running RetroPie update

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
obsidianspider

Error running RetroPie update

Post by obsidianspider » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:46 pm

I used the RetroPie image linked from the guide and things work very well, but I decided to update RetroPie while I work on my case fabrication and at the end I got an error about git pull -1.

I went into the log and it looks like it's related to this.

Code: Select all

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Running action 'install_theme' for 'esthemes' : Install themes for Emulation Station
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:
	carbon.xml
Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
Aborting
Updating 2628a75..aad1e0e
Error running 'git pull' - returned 1
/home/pi/RetroPie-Setup
I rebooted and everything seems to work just fine, but the first time I start a game I get the following before the runcommand splash. Only the first time you run a game. Arter that, it doesn't display for any other games. I took a photo, but with the low resolution screen I wasn't completely able to make out the text.

lvlD from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/carbon/theme.xml"
Included file "../../carbon.xml" not found! (resolved to "/etc/emulationstation/themses/carbon/../carbon.xml"
Included file "../../carbon.xml" not found! (resolved to "/etc/emulationstation/themses/carbon/../carbon.xml"
It's not a *huge* deal, but I'd like to address it. Any suggestions on what might have been tweaked in the Carbon theme?

HoolyHoo

Re: Error running RetroPie update

Post by HoolyHoo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:02 pm

This is most likely due to Wermy's edit of the carbon theme in his setup script to accommodate the smaller screen. I believe he edited the theme in the path of:

/etc/emulationstation/themes
Any theme in there will try to be updated when you perform an update to Retropie.
To prevent this in the future, it would probably have been better to copy the theme over to a folder in his script to this path and then do the necessary edits to accommodate the smaller screen:

/home/pi/.emulationstation/themes
Any theme in the latter path will take precedence and not be updated. :)