can't get continuity on the 5V or ground pads

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
rodocop

can't get continuity on the 5V or ground pads

Post by rodocop » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:21 pm

Hi all,

I can't for the life of me get any continuity between the 5v and gnd. I have tried everything, solder, flux, reheating etc... They do not seem to be bridged, since I do not have continuity between 5V and GND. My next step will be to simply solder a wire for each, but if someone has some advice let me know!

I have continuity on all other pads except those two.

djbriane

Re: can't get continuity on the 5V or ground pads

Post by djbriane » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:28 pm

I had similar issues with both of my builds. Had to reflow it a bunch of times until I got it solid on both, on one of my builds I gave up and wound up running a wire directly from the back of the Pi for ground (same result in the end I figured)

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:34 pm

djbriane wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:28 pm
I had similar issues with both of my builds. Had to reflow it a bunch of times until I got it solid on both, on one of my builds I gave up and wound up running a wire directly from the back of the Pi for ground (same result in the end I figured)
hmm, yeah, i'll try a bit more but it's looking like a wire be my easiest option. At least i'm not the only one! I will use some pretty thin wire, you have no issues with space after adding a few wires?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:41 pm

What pads and GPIO's are you testing continuity? Post some pictures of the soldering job and the pads. You need a thin iron tip and not your generic Radio Shack or equivalent crap iron which has a larger tip that is hard to solder these to the pads below on the pcb.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:48 pm

Exactly what helder said. You need to have a solder tip that will actually stick into the hole so you can make a connection from the pi to the board.

I used the Weller ETO tip (compatible with my soldering station)
71goMX4vofL._SX355_.jpg
71goMX4vofL._SX355_.jpg (9.32 KiB) Viewed 7307 times

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:55 pm

Helder wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:41 pm
What pads and GPIO's are you testing continuity? Post some pictures of the soldering job and the pads. You need a thin iron tip and not your generic Radio Shack or equivalent crap iron which has a larger tip that is hard to solder these to the pads below on the pcb.
Yeah, I definitely do not have the greatest soldering iron, which may be part of the issue, but I had no problems with any of the other pads. As for the GPIO pins, I am testing the 5V and the GND GPIO pins on the pi that correspond to your board. Also, here is a pic:
padsShow

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:03 pm

just run a wire from the GPIO to the VCC to the right NOT the one below the 8 pin ribbon connector and GND can be any GND on the pcb.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:40 pm

Helder wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:03 pm
just run a wire from the GPIO to the VCC to the right NOT the one below the 8 pin ribbon connector and GND can be any GND on the pcb.
Yeah. So after changing solder tips I was able to get continuity. But...after I put the sd card in and hooked up the screen continuity was gone! So I just soldered some wires. Now it works.

Headphones work, screen works. Buttons work!

On to the case mods I guess. Thanks for the input guys.

djbriane

Post by djbriane » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:06 am

rodocop wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:34 pm
djbriane wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:28 pm
hmm, yeah, i'll try a bit more but it's looking like a wire be my easiest option. At least i'm not the only one! I will use some pretty thin wire, you have no issues with space after adding a few wires?
I didn't have any issues with space after running a jumper from the GND pad on the Pi to the GND below the ribbon cable. It was also very flaky for me where I'd get a good connection according to my multimeter but it wouldn't stay connected once I moved things around. The jumper cable is less than ideal but once it's closed up no one will know. :)