Dpad Up Is Dpad Left!!!

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
AF5000

Dpad Up Is Dpad Left!!!

Post by AF5000 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:47 pm

Hello! So, today I just finished my build, and when I was playing super castlevania IV, I realized the Up button was making me go Left, I tried reconfiguring my buttons in emulation station, and when I configured Left, it said already taken, does anyone know what to do? Thanks. :D

dryja123

Re: Dpad Up Is Dpad Left!!!

Post by dryja123 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:01 pm

AF5000 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:47 pm
Hello! So, today I just finished my build, and when I was playing super castlevania IV, I realized the Up button was making me go Left, I tried reconfiguring my buttons in emulation station, and when I configured Left, it said already taken, does anyone know what to do? Thanks. :D
What does left do? If left turns left and up turns left it sounds like you bridged the connections. To test this, put your multimeter into continuity mode and test the solder in the UP GPIO hole against the corresponding up test pad. Also test if the UP GPIO port has continuity on the left pad.

If your up GPIO is making connection with left, try cleaning the tip of your soldering iron and carefully stick the clean tip into the GPIO hole and try to wipe the solder away. When you've removed some solder stick the multimeter in the UP GPIO hole and see if you're making a connection to the correct pad.

AF5000

Post by AF5000 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Hi, thanks for responding so late, It sounds like I bridged connections because in a link to the past up made link go diagonally... Thank you for the help.

EDIT: When I originally tested with the multimeter, It said everything was correct, could bridging still happen? I just want to avoid taking it apart after everything is working, whenever I do that, my L and R button wires break... :cry:

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:25 pm

AF5000 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:12 pm
Hi, thanks for responding so late, It sounds like I bridged connections because in a link to the past up made link go diagonally... Thank you for the help.

EDIT: When I originally tested with the multimeter, It said everything was correct, could bridging still happen? I just want to avoid taking it apart after everything is working, whenever I do that, my L and R button wires break... :cry:
Could still happen. While testing Im assuming you tested like for like and all was OK. Hence this problem... You wouldn't naturally test for continuity with other pads.

If you have one, use a flux pen on those two GPIO pins then reflow each hole using a tip that goes inside the hole and quickly remove the iron.

Will hopefully break the bridge! Just take your time. All is not lost 😎
Last edited by Lphillimore on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:53 pm

Agree. The board flexes when you install it. I had continuity on everything and lost power from repeated insertion and removal. Had to reflow and all was good.

AF5000

Post by AF5000 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:08 am

OK, Thank You for all the help! I really appreciate it!😀