Powerboost 500 - Not turning on

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Arland

Powerboost 500 - Not turning on

Post by Arland » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:14 am

Hi Guys,

I have run into a bit of a problem while assembling my MintyPi. I wired up the Powerboost 500 as described in this diagram.

However when I go to turn it on only the blue light and the "low" light turn on.

I have no idea how to go about troubleshooting what is wrong. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Arland

wermy
Site Admin

Re: Powerboost 500 - Not turning on

Post by wermy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:21 am

Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like it should work. Maybe dumb question but are you sure your battery isn't just really low? If the battery is low enough then the pi/screen won't turn on.
ImageImageImageImage

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:27 am

What happens when you run it off of USB power? Turn on? If so I'd go with battery being low...

Arland

Post by Arland » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:21 am

I have charged the battery. When I use usb power it doesn't turn on.

Arland

Post by Arland » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:26 am

Also I want to note that if plug it directly into the Pi (the usb that is) it will turn on and work fine.

djbriane

Post by djbriane » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:31 am

Did you try disconnecting the LBO wire from the Pi and see if it works then? I'd also try with a clean install from Wermy's mintyPi image to make sure the Pi isn't shutting down immediately (which the LBO script I used will do - there are some notes in the Github repo that explain how to disable the clean shutdown code but using a clean image is a sure way).

In any case the screen should at least turn on, if not then I'd double-check the test pads on the controller PCB to make sure you have a good connection on all of them.

Arland

Post by Arland » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:07 pm

I disconnected the low LBO wire and the low battery light (the red one) no longer is on. I also put a fresh image on it.

I checked all the pins again and I had a solid connection.

Should the light on the Pi (the green one) light up when it is powered through the powerboost? It only turns on when I plug it the power directly into the usb micro slot on the board.

Arland

Post by Arland » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:17 pm

Okay another update. I solder the wire directly to the vcc pad on the board and it booted! It must be a lifted pad?

Is it okay to just wired it this way?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:02 pm

Fix that huge sprawling exposed wire so it's only making contact with the proper GPIO instead of the possibility of touching the other GPIO holdes around it and it should be fine.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.