Accessible USB port?

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
MrDowntempo

Accessible USB port?

Post by MrDowntempo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:44 am

I recently saw this video showing off a prebuilt minty pi

The one thing that stands out, is that the USB port for data is also accessible. What's going on here? That would be a super handy addition to a build, and make the device a lot easier to manage in the future. Unfortunately there's no video of it disassembled or in assembly. Is it possible they're using something like this nano hub? or have they desoldered the original connector on the pi and just moved it?

Lphillimore

Re: Accessible USB port?

Post by Lphillimore » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:15 am

Interesting comments about availability of these kits. Really wasn't difficult to acquire be following Helders updates in the threads.

Also that battery life claim...cant see 4-6 hours! Must be nearly dead after 3.5 hours.

Unsure about the data USB that's exposed. Perhaps the port is still active even though the pads are soldered and it takes priority at boot allowing you to use it, but disabling the sound. Someone else may be able to comment here.

As RGN are reselling this is one of the main issues as the WiFi needs setting up in advance. My workaround would be to set a generic SSID and Password allowing users to create that network and amend it thereafter.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Accessible USB port?

Post by Helder » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:36 am

The usb could be free if a I2C dac/amp is used but then it's a little harder to get a battery monitor in those units. They actually don't have a lot of stock because I only allowed a handful of the kits so grab them while you can.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.