Wiring without custom PCB

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Frog

Wiring without custom PCB

Post by Frog » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:39 am

Hi all

I love the Minty Pi.. Awesome Job..

I was wondering i am wanting to build one of these now but your all sold out of the custom PCB and screens..

I was wondering if there are any wiring diagrams or a how to on doing this without the custom PCB / screen kit..

I will be buying a Custom PCB / screen kit when you get them back in stock but i am incredibly impatient and want to build one now :) I do remember seeing in one of the videos that a guide will come out soon..

Any ways thanks in advance and keep up the awesome work

Regards
The Frog

abrugsch

Re: Wiring without custom PCB

Post by abrugsch » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:17 am

if your problem is that they are sold out, you could just wait for the next batch...
as for wiring diagram, there's not really anything special to it...

control buttons are connected directly to the GPIO pins of which there are plenty of guides on here and around the internet in general (hint search for "Retrogame" - an adafruit library that helps with it, though there are other methods too) and the screen is SPI which there is a wonderful guide by @moosepr. everything else is hand wired anyway, nothing to do with the PCB. the only thing I will say is that helder's PCB is thinner than your average PCB. most are 1.6mm thick and I think the mintypi one is 0.8mm or maybe even thinner. it doesn't sound like a lot but space is at a premium in there and every 0.1mm counts! if you want more hints, check out the guides and threads already supporting minty pi and you'll see which pins are used for what controls as they are printed directly on the board ;)

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:07 pm

It's 0.6mm actually but you can wire things using my silk screen info on my board but you need something thin like my board and some copper tape to make buttons like Wermy did for his X & Y buttons in his original GBZ video build.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

exodus

Post by exodus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:20 pm