Sound card sorrows!

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Holydohnut

Re: Sound card sorrows!

Post by Holydohnut » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:52 pm

Yep. That's the error I'm getting. It's the same as if the card isn't attached at all. When it *was* working, that error didn't appear.

I also tested the speaker separately which worked fine. And I tested the card without a speaker, (Which should work) but again no good.

Something must have failed with it. I should have tested it again JUST before desoldering in case the kids have been messing. It doesnt smell of milkshake, but you never can tell! ;-)

tronicgr

Post by tronicgr » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:12 am

Holydohnut wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:37 pm
Hi guys. I've just tested the traces from the crystal and, (using helders other pad trace photo) the connections on the usb and they all test fine.

I'm so confused! I don't know what could have caused this. It definitely worked when it first arrived!

Tronicgr -Are you aware that this is the exact card wermy uses in the mintypi build?
No, i didn't know Wermy was using it in mintypi.

But in the datasheet it says it can be used with headphones with coil resistance of 32 ohms. Most little speakers from the market are 8ohms that will draw too much current from this chip and perhaps burn it...

Thanks
Thanos

blacko

Post by blacko » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:25 am

I am having a similar issue. Ive tried rewiring and soldering two different sounds cards and 4 different speakers. I have had no luck. Not sure what I should try now. I checked that the cards worked prior to disassembly and de-soldering the cards too. Any advice?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:37 pm

Anyone have any progress with this? Still can't seem to get past the failed to detect default card on both pi's and both sound cards.

blacko

Post by blacko » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:49 pm

Noob question. How do you check if it is detected?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:11 pm

blacko wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:49 pm
Noob question. How do you check if it is detected?
In my case I start a game and it quickly shows the error message, or I go to audio in the retropie menu and it will quickly show the error message.

Holydohnut

Post by Holydohnut » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:51 pm

I've got another card on order. Will report back when I've tried again.

Holydohnut

Post by Holydohnut » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:53 pm

New soundcard arrived today. 3 days after ordering. Sure it was 3 times the price of the one from China, but that took 3 months to arrive!

Anyway, I did exactly the same as I did with the first card, and it works absolutely fine. Tested it after moving the crystal, and again after wiring the speaker. Maybe the kids had been messing after all. Or maybe it's just one of those things....

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:35 pm

Holydohnut wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:53 pm
New soundcard arrived today. 3 days after ordering. Sure it was 3 times the price of the one from China, but that took 3 months to arrive!

Anyway, I did exactly the same as I did with the first card, and it works absolutely fine. Tested it after moving the crystal, and again after wiring the speaker. Maybe the kids had been messing after all. Or maybe it's just one of those things....
Mind posting where you ordered the new one. A user here is sending me one. But I'd like to order a few more.

Holydohnut

Post by Holydohnut » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:16 pm

This is the link, but as it arrived in a zip lock bag with a price sticker on it in Yen (!) I think he's just a guy who imports them in bulk.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272255163026

Looks wise it was identical to my other one. Except the usb port was soldered on at an even MORE acute angle! ;-)