No Sound After Wiring Card with Headphone Jack

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
murdock743

No Sound After Wiring Card with Headphone Jack

Post by murdock743 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:37 am

Hello,

I think that I may have made an error when wiring up the sound card though this may also be an issue with making a modification to the initial build as well. This may not have been the best plan since this is the first time I've done a project like this, but you can't really learn until you screw a bunch of stuff up.

I've linked up the sound card to a switching 5 pin audio jack and attempted to convert the output to mono on the speaker.

I'm guessing this is the pin configuration based off what the manufacturer sent me, though I've never done this before and could be mistaken:
Jack raw Numbered.jpg
Jack raw Numbered.jpg (324.96 KiB) Viewed 7093 times
This is what I came up with as a guess on how to wire it:
Jack.jpg
Jack.jpg (637.31 KiB) Viewed 7093 times
Here is an image of how I'm wiring it to the sound card:
Soundcard and Jack.jpg
Soundcard and Jack.jpg (969.85 KiB) Viewed 7093 times
Here is the front of the card and the back of the card:
Front of Card.jpg
Front of Card.jpg (749.52 KiB) Viewed 7093 times
Back of Sound Card.jpg
Back of Sound Card.jpg (796.19 KiB) Viewed 7093 times
Lastly, here is how I'm wiring everything to the Pi:
Back of Pi.jpg
Back of Pi.jpg (961.36 KiB) Viewed 7093 times
Any feedback would be appreciated. If anyone sees any additional issues let me know. This is my first time doing anything really related to electronics and soldering so I apologize if things look messy. Though the good news is that I've not shorted out or ruined any of the real critical components. The Pi boots great, the buttons work, and the screen looks fantastic.

Thanks for any help!
Murdock

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: No Sound After Wiring Card with Headphone Jack

Post by Helder » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:23 pm

You're assuming your wiring to the socket is correct but without a datasheet you can only take guesses to what pins are what. I would wire up the GND to the socket then the L/R to their pads and use headphones to see if it's wired right, if not redo them and if it is then play with the speaker connections.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Akari_Enderwolf

Post by Akari_Enderwolf » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:40 pm

any luck getting this working? That looks kinda like the switching jack I saw someone link to and was thinking about getting myself.

Abunchahicks

Post by Abunchahicks » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:49 pm

I was successful testing a switching headphone jack on one of my Minty pi's before assembling, but not successful getting it to fit in the tin. There's just not enough room, I tried 3 or 4 different configurations before wiring. I hope someone has better luck than me I would love to install a Jack on my daughters Minty.

murdock743

Post by murdock743 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Still no luck on getting it working. I'm starting to think the board is dead or potentially a software issue. I could get dead white noise on the headphones but no real sound. I'm assuming the noise means that power is getting to the board, but maybe not any usable data.

I did some preliminary measurements and this jack should fit (very snug) in the case. I may have to make additional modifications to the 3D printed base if addition of the wires makes it too tall (i.e. cut it off and have the jack resting on the tin). As for Akari_Enderwolf's question, this jack is the SJ1-3515-SMT-TR jack that can be purchased by Digi Key. I think you are correct in that someone else linked it earlier.

Update - I potentially have bridged my data connection. I'm getting connectivity between the data + and data - when they are connected to the pi. Uncertain if that is normal or not. My guess is probably not. Will continue to investigate.

Akari_Enderwolf

Post by Akari_Enderwolf » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:43 pm

any updates on getting it working? This has been really helpful to me so far.

murdock743

Post by murdock743 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:08 am

Yes, I just got some progress on it this morning. So, what I did was I used ssh to login to the pi and updated the operating system. Good news! After I got everything updated the pi recognizes the card and stops giving me a bunch of errors! Bad news, still no sound even with the volume at 100%. I even took the headphones out of the equation and and set it up as just the speaker. I'm making progress and learning new things, even if I don't exactly want to be. I have a couple other sound cards now so I'm planning to take the usb port off of one and attach it and see if I can get sound out of the built in headphone jack. Will continue to troubleshoot!

AnotherUsername

Post by AnotherUsername » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:58 pm

murdock743 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:08 am
Yes, I just got some progress on it this morning. So, what I did was I used ssh to login to the pi and updated the operating system. Good news! After I got everything updated the pi recognizes the card and stops giving me a bunch of errors! Bad news, still no sound even with the volume at 100%. I even took the headphones out of the equation and and set it up as just the speaker. I'm making progress and learning new things, even if I don't exactly want to be. I have a couple other sound cards now so I'm planning to take the usb port off of one and attach it and see if I can get sound out of the built in headphone jack. Will continue to troubleshoot!
Did you end up fixing this? I'm currently having the same issues.

murdock743

Post by murdock743 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:12 pm

Unfortunately, not yet. I've been away traveling for work and it's unlikely I'll have the ability to get to it until next week.