Mintybatterymonitor Script Questions(s)

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
dasfool

Mintybatterymonitor Script Questions(s)

Post by dasfool » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:19 pm

I had a look at the Mintybatterymonitor source. Looks good and code is easy to read. The one thing I noticed is that holding Select not only hides the battery icon, it kills MintyBatteryMonitor.py. This means you no longer get any notifications, nor is the script checking for low battery in the background to auto shutdown if your battery gets too low. So, for those of us that don't want to play with the battery icon on at all times, it's the same as if we didn't have the extra PCB and script at all.

What I, and at least two others were looking for was a script that does the following:
  • Will auto, safely, shutdown the pi when the battery reaches a critical percentage
  • Can display a battery icon with the current battery power
  • The icon can be toggled off without losing the safe shutdown auto trigger
  • An extra tactile button can be attached to the GPIO enabling a button just for triggering shutdown
  • A mode is present to show the battery icon only when the battery is low
I don't mean for this to sound ungrateful at all, in fact I really appreciate what HoolyHoo and Helder have put together for us. I just think that a bit more refinement can get the user experience to perfect.

HoolyHoo, do you have any intentions on building on the current script or is it up to others to make any changes they'd like to on their own?

HoolyHoo

Re: Mintybatterymonitor Script Questions(s)

Post by HoolyHoo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:55 am

The one thing I noticed is that holding Select not only hides the battery icon, it kills MintyBatteryMonitor.py.
Yes, this is true, as stated in the github readme page.
Will auto, safely, shutdown the pi when the battery reaches a critical percentage
Script already does this.
Can display a battery icon with the current battery power
Script does this already in representation of icons of 100, 75, 50, 25 and 0 percent. The ADC does not have enough resolution to display a stable battery percentage like a smart phone.
The icon can be toggled off without losing the safe shutdown auto trigger
I am working on this and in the process of testing.
An extra tactile button can be attached to the GPIO enabling a button just for triggering shutdown
Script already contains this.
A mode is present to show the battery icon only when the battery is low
Also part of what I am working on.
HoolyHoo, do you have any intentions on building on the current script or is it up to others to make any changes they'd like to on their own?
As I stated above, I am working on some improvements but any changes to the code are welcomed by users. If you can improve on it further we could always add a pull request to the github ;)

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:26 am

I'll see if I can get the pre-made retropie image updated tonight with Hoolyhoo's updated script.
ImageImageImageImage

dasfool

Post by dasfool » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:56 pm

HoolyHoo wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:55 am
I am working on some improvements but any changes to the code are welcomed by users. If you can improve on it further we could always add a pull request to the github ;)
Awesome, thanks for the response. I'll keep an eye out for those updates and if I have any more improvements I'll look into making them myself and pushing them to the repo.