Black Screen When Alt+F4 Out of EmulationStation

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
AnotherUsername

Black Screen When Alt+F4 Out of EmulationStation

Post by AnotherUsername » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:40 pm

I was able to get the premade image downloaded and burned to an SD card, and I am able to get it to startup and run in EmulationStation just fine, however, whenever I use ALT+F4 to exit to the console, I get just a black screen. I know the console is working, as I am able to issue commands (I've been shutting down via sudo shutdown -t 0) but I'm not getting anything on the screen. I saw someone had a similar issue and Wermy had suggested wiring up the sound card, but I was wondering if there is a way to disable sound for the time being to see if this is the issue, or if there is something else going on. I do not yet have my sound card to wire up, so that's unfortunately not an option. Any direction is appreciated!

Rider

Re: Black Screen When Alt+F4 Out of EmulationStation

Post by Rider » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:26 pm

It was fine with mintypi v1 premade image without the sound card attached, maybe wermy could upload it so you can test. If not someone on the forums might have it, I might have it myself.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:42 pm

This is due to a change in the way the splash screen is setup in this latest version: the startup sound in the video works now but a side effect is that (as you've found) if there is no sound card present it acts like you describe. One workaround may be to rename the splash video file temporarily -- it's in the home directory (/home/pi). Hope this helps!
ImageImageImageImage

AnotherUsername

Post by AnotherUsername » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:01 pm

EDIT: Can confirm that renaming that video fixes this issue!

Thanks Wermy. I'm not home at the moment to test this, but I'll do so and update this post as soon as I can.