Need Some Help with a screen

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
bumfuffy

Re: Need Some Help with a screen

Post by bumfuffy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:05 pm

If there is a pre soldered screen coming out can that be ordered on its own? I'm gonna need one. Everything about my build has gone so well, apart from the screen. So stressed right now. I'd rather not continue with this screen and end up throwing the whole thing out of the window!

bumfuffy

Post by bumfuffy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:14 pm

And so it goes com bad to worse.. carefully removed the ribbon connector on the board to expose the pads, attempted to solder the ribbon directly and burnt the pads off the board.
Help me helder, you're my only hope :(

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Dude I'm running out of spare parts because of people's inexperience and just bad equipment and techniques and wanting me to replace things. What kind of iron do you have? Is it variable temp? Show me pictures of the lcd ribbon and the lcd board.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

bumfuffy

Post by bumfuffy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Completely understand your frustration mate. It's true, I am no experienced electronics engineer, nor do I own expensive kit associated with those skills. I would imagine that goes for 75% of peeps on this forum. I use a 25w antex iron, no variable temp. There's no salvaging the board, ribbon or lcd. The contacts on the ribbon are gone, so are the contacts on the board. As such it's for the trash.
If I could possibly purchase from you a replacement lcd I would greatly appreciate it. If I could get a one pre soldered/connected I would appreciate it even more.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:33 pm

bumfuffy wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:19 pm
Completely understand your frustration mate. It's true, I am no experienced electronics engineer, nor do I own expensive kit associated with those skills. I would imagine that goes for 75% of peeps on this forum. I use a 25w antex iron, no variable temp. There's no salvaging the board, ribbon or lcd. The contacts on the ribbon are gone, so are the contacts on the board. As such it's for the trash.
If I could possibly purchase from you a replacement lcd I would greatly appreciate it. If I could get a one pre soldered/connected I would appreciate it even more.
That iron operates at approximately 420c / 790f which is way too hot for this project. Without a proper iron I would bet that there will be plenty projects joining that LCD in the heap. You can pick up a decent temp controlled iron for a little less than $50.

bumfuffy

Post by bumfuffy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:40 am

Thanks for the advice. I will look into purchasing one.
Still gonna need a replacement LCD though..
Hoping Helder will have some spare to purchase!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:10 am

Running real low on extra parts from people messing things up. For the screen try eBay for a 2.4inch ILI9341 SPI screen without touch screen, shouldn't be much $$
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

peeweejedi

Post by peeweejedi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:12 am

I accidentally got one with a touch screen will that still work.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:53 am

peeweejedi wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:12 am
I accidentally got one with a touch screen will that still work.
The touch panel makes it too thick. It is possible to remove it if you're very very careful. You can just take a razor around the edge and snip off the ribbon that's attached to the touch panel.
ImageImageImageImage