Need Some Help with a screen

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
giantflyingbirds

Soldering Help

Post by giantflyingbirds » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Hey all,

So I'm working on soldering up my button PCB at the moment. I had everything working nicely except the select and right buttons, so I checked and fixed everything I could with a multimeter. Now nothing is working. Only reasoning I can find (again being a total noob) is that I soldered both gpio pins beneath the ground label. When testing the two ground connections I get nothing. I assume my two ground connection may be hindering the system, but I'm not sure how I changed it if I simply improved the connections. The pi boots and is functional with a keyboard. Any advice would be awesome.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Soldering Help

Post by Helder » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:37 pm

If you're getting no continuity on GND just solder a wire to the 8pin GND test pad to the GND GPIO.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

giantflyingbirds

Post by giantflyingbirds » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:29 pm

I'll give that a try. I think the question I was trying to ask was really if it would cause problems to have solder in both holes on the pi beneath the GND label.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:54 pm

As long as it doesn't touch other GPIO pins you're fine. Post pictures.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

giantflyingbirds

Need Some Help with a screen

Post by giantflyingbirds » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:22 pm

Working hard on my mintypi today. Got my button PCB soldered up with good connections on everything, so that's awesome. But, my screen is having some issues. I used electrical tape to thicken it and had to peel it off once to resize it, leaving some of the fingers half as long as they were original. Wiggling the screen around in the connector yields no results, only a black screen. I checked out the thread on alignment and that doesn't work either. Any tips? I count 18 fingers on the screen.

Lphillimore

Re: Need Some Help with a screen

Post by Lphillimore » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:48 pm

Pics?

Four of the pins are redundant from the 18. Depending on the severity of the cut you might be ok however pin 1 is a GND pin so hopefully it's OK. You may need to remove the clip and solder the ribbon onto he board worst case.

Wiggling it while booted will make no difference, however. It needs to be aligned, fixed into place and booted each time you move it. Don't Wiggle it whilst it's fixed down.

Assuming you've never had it work or even a white screen?

Let's see some pics 👍🏼

giantflyingbirds

Post by giantflyingbirds » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:52 pm

Here's that ground wire. Things seem to be good on the button board save start and select. Start connection is good but won't bring up retropie menus. Select connection is stubborn but I will get it. Really the big problem is the screen right now.
Attachments
IMG_5578.JPG
IMG_5578.JPG (969.2 KiB) Viewed 5878 times

144TECH

Post by 144TECH » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:54 pm

if theres enough fingers left you can cut it evenly so that they all come over to the end of the connector well&aligned, but don't cut too much lol, curious to see pics too..
* Very Rare * GBZ 640x480 v3 Stock Looks 6000MAH
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4863

giantflyingbirds

Post by giantflyingbirds » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:59 pm

I actually did have it blinking a dim gray at one point but that was with wiggling with the pi on and booted up fully. It was very weird. The connector sorta bounces around in there. Here are pictures:

P.S. Sorry for the blur; iPhone autofocus is terrible at macro shots
Attachments
IMG_5579.JPG
IMG_5579.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 5905 times

144TECH

Post by 144TECH » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:06 pm

You can cut it for example, this way all the contacts come over to the end and make connection, use a nice long sharp sciccor, but remember, dont cut off too much and be sure you cut straight, like this it should be working again... but don't wiggle ! insert it nicely to the end and close the clip
Last edited by 144TECH on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* Very Rare * GBZ 640x480 v3 Stock Looks 6000MAH
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4863