Strange software quirks

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Kevin

Strange software quirks

Post by Kevin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:57 am

Hi all,

I'm working on my third MintyPi and I've run into an odd quirk. I've assembled everything and noticed the display lights but doesn't seem to show any data. I figured it might be bad. I ordered another from eBay.

Meanwhile... I figured I'd turn on WiFi and load up the card. Using the HDMI and one of those mini keyboards with a USB dongle (I unsoldered the sound card lines) I booted up the Pi. The Emulation Station came up OK. I found that when I pressed the CTL key on the keyboard I was thrown into the setup menu. Great! I used the down button to go to "WiFi" but whatever button I used for "select" I'd usually get a dark screen and that was it. When I select WiFi with Ctl or F4 the A or Select button it either does nothing or I get a black screen.

I tried downloading the img file twice. Burned them several times. I even tried a new Raspberry Pi Zero W (without a button board).

Very weird.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Psyicman

Re: Strange software quirks

Post by Psyicman » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:09 pm

You need the sound card hooked up for it all to work. This issue is so common I think there needs to be a big bold thing written into the wiki about how all the components need to be hooked up to work properly. There is another thread here that shows how to fix it so it will switch to HDMI sound and other things.
My parents told me I can be anything when I grew up. I chose Ninja!

Kevin

Re: Strange software quirks

Post by Kevin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:55 pm

Thanks. Will try that.